New AMC series The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUsupaFan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Shane didn't kill Otis in the comics. (SPOILER)

He dies in the first arc in the comics.

Here is an article about how Kirkman has to rethink everything given that element.

'Walking Dead' exec 'reluctant to kill Shane' - The Walking Dead News - TV - Digital Spy

In a way Shane living caused Otis's death to come early using the comic as the standard.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Same here. Now, I don't know what to think about ole Shane. Did he do what he had to to survive AND to save Carl or his he a cold blooded psychopath?

Remember, there's some other things he's done to make you wonder about him too.

3. LSUsupaFan

I think, as depicted in the TV series, he is just the heartless, do what it takes, pragmatic type which is well situated for that world.

If he were the cold blooded pyschopath he would have murdered Otis right after they got out of ear shot from the farm and slipped off never to be heard from again.

I think in his mind it was either him and Otis getting torn apart and Carl getting no chance to survive or he or Otis getting torn apart and Carl having a chance. I think the situation with Carl had some bearing on his decision, because if it didn’t why even go back to the farm. Spoilers below

Spoilers…

In the comics Shane goes crazy an issue or two after Rick shows up. Shane was in love with Lori, and Rick being back screwed up his chances. He tries to kill Rick but is shot in the neck by Carl. The group buries him and moves on. Carl gets shot and they do end up at Hershel’s farm, but they don’t have to go chasing the medical supplies. While At Hershel's farm they discover that anyone who dies comes back as a zombie, not just those that get bitten. Rick goes back to the spot where they buried Shane, digs him up, and puts a round in his skull.

I am now speculating the secret Jenner told Rick has something to do with the re-animation rules. Maybe only those bitten come back. That might explain why all the corpses encounter in the cars on the highways were not re-animated.

Otis is a skinny, dimwitted farm hand who lives for another six to seven months after Rick’s group shows up at the farm.

End Spoilers.

4. fanatic

I can buy that and I'm ok with it as long as his motives are pure (and by that, I mean if he felt Otis was going to get them both killed and Carl dies in the process or the only way they get away is if one of them is left behind to feed the zombie hoards). I'm just wondering why he shot him in the leg. Why not just shoot him in the head, so Otis doesn't suffer as he's being eaten?

I realize there's only so much they can do in a story arc, but I'm getting kind of tired of this one dragging out. I wish they'd hurry up and find Sophia, Carl heals, then they move on.

5. LSUsupaFan

These zombies are drawn by sight and sound. An Otis that screams and flails as he is being torn apart attracts the zombies. A big pile of flesh that is silent might not attract enough of the horde.

I like how they have used the Carl getting shot line to introduce the Greene family, but I don't like the Sophia lost in the woods arc. It seems like an excuse to have characters alone together so they can flush out some characterization in a lazy manner.

6. fanatic

Tonight's ep. was strange. I can't imagine why ole Herschel has all of those walkers in his barn. Anyone care to venture a guess?

Rick's gang is quickly overstaying their welcome. I'm definitely concerned, if I'm Herschel. They're using his food, medicine, and other supplies, and now they've lost one of his horses. He's right when he says they're getting a little too comfortable and if I'm him, I stick to my guns about them moving on once Carl is able to travel.

Totally agree. And I CAN'T STAND how they're dragging it out. They should have found her, one way or another, 2-3 episodes ago.

7. LSUsupaFan

That is an element from the comics. I knew it was coming the first time they showed a shot of the barn. Knowing that, I think the answer has already been revealed.

For real. They have run through his food, gotten his hand killed, lost a horse, used up his medicine, and tainted one of his water wells a split in two zombie. Imagine how pissed he would be if he knew about Glen and Maggie.

8. fanatic

If it has, then I guess I missed it. Can you elaborate?

9. LSUsupaFan

Hershal thinks a cure for the virus will be found. Because he thinks the infected can be cured he doesn't want them killed.

1 person likes this.
  10. fanatic

Duh, I should have figured that out; especially when they announced last night that 'Herschel wants to deal with the walkers himself'. Pretty simple conclusion once you think about it. Of course, we still don't know what the CDC scientist whispers to Rick right before he blows himself to kingdom come, so Hershel might be saving the walkers for no reason.