New vehicle

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CParso, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm pretty sure I totalled my '99 Camry yesterday (everybody was fine & it was the other driver's fault). So, I find myself in the market for a used car.

Anybody got any suggestions? I'm looking to spend $12k or less, and would like something reliable like Toyota or Honda. I've always wanted a truck but not one too big, and also like mid-sized SUVs, and would consider another car like a Camry (but not a Camry - have had 2 of them, great cars but ready for something different).

2. Andouille

Andouille Guest

Toyota Tacoma.

3. TigerBait45

TigerBait45 Founding Member

I've got a late 90s Buick LeSabre and I've never had problems with it.

4. razer

razer unregistered offender

If you look at SUV's, I have a Chevy Trailblazer and love it. Friend of mine just got a GMC Acadia and I like it a lot too. You ought to be able to find a good used Trailblazer for 12k or less, probably not an Acadia though, now that I think about it...they're pretty new.

5. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Glad you're OK, dude. Sorry about your car.

12K or less is tough, but here's a couple ideas.

1. Early model Honda Pilot. Or Toyota Rav4. Or Honda Element.
    2. Toyota Tacoma 2WD

I've owned Hondas and Toyotas for about 15 years now. Reliable. Just be careful how many miles are on it when you buy. Service can be expensive on them. My opinion - 70,000 miles means you're about to start buying expensive parts.

6. geauxgeauxhon

geauxgeauxhon blah blah blah

I got a used Nissan Maxima a few years ago and have not regretted it. It's a stick shift and has a great engine, and it's awesome on the highway. Hasn't given me any trouble at all, has been very reliable, still drives like a dream, has good storage area in the trunk for a mid-size, and the engine looks just as great five years later.

I don't know how the newer model Nissans are, this one is like 2000. But even though the car is approaching ten years and we have a newer minivan that we inherited from our in-laws (and it's pretty tricked out for a minivan), Mr. GGH and I fight all the time over who gets the Maxima for the week.

We had a Camry before the Maxima, and while it was a great car, the Maxima is just as reliable and is much more powerful and fun to drive.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

first of all, glad to hear everyone is ok!!

i have always had hondas and loved all of em. my current honda is 13 years old, has 160k miles on it, and still running great. it is ready to retire tho. it will soon be taken to nola to keep a car at the house there, so when we fly down we dont have to rent a vehicle. a much better use for it than selling it as old as it is, but still being in great shape.

i drove a toyota rav4 as a rental and loved it.

my next vehicle is gonna be a highlander. test drove one and fell in love.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm liking the trailblazers, but I like the '06-current body design much more than the '05 & before. What year is yours?

9. married2atiger

married2atiger Founding Member

CParso, I know that you said you were wanting to stay around the $12K range right? Just shooting this by you, but if you could spend a little more say 3-5K, get an 08. I sell cars for a living and we have 08 trailblazers with anywhere from 10-28K miles on them and they are selling for 14,995. 5yr/100K mile powertrain warranty and 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. PM if you have any more questions about this or anything else!

10. LSU Rubi

LSU Rubi Founding Member

Got an 06 Trailblazer with 50K miles and it runs like a champ. The misses wants to trade it in for a 4 door tacoma. It was bought with cash and we would never get enough to get a comparable condition and year tacoma so we are probably stuck with it for a while. Our biggest need for a truck is that we live out in the country and have to haul our trash to the recycling place and I hate borrowing her dads truck or hooking up my trailer to the back of this just to haul trash 2 miles down the road. Its just a 2 wheel drive 6 cylinder and it gets decent mileage. The only problem was cosmetic on the inside and the dealership replaced the plastic part under warranty. It was on the drivers seat at the bottom where the power controls are for the seat. The little tabs broke off for some reason that hold it in place.

Its a good little truck. Just had to put new tires on it and it towes without a problem.