Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Nice story....

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by LaSalleAve, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

My sister works as a server at a steakhouse in Los Angeles, a couple came in last night and sat in her section, they started visiting and being from the Old South, immediately recognized her southern accent. So after talking and dining, they asked my sister who had mentioned my nephews, if she had gotten a chance to take the kids to Disneyland, she said no not yet. Upon returning to the table after the couple's departure, she noticed a note that said "have fun at Disneyland" along with a 460 dollar tip.

Southern people, while they may take alot of shit, are the greatest people on earth.
  2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun I'll try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter!

Back when I was in England used to fly fish for trout on a world class "chalk stream." Unfortunately, it stays light, very late, so we ate dinner at the local inn, probably starting about 10:30. The meal was great, the service spectacular, even though I am sure they were pissed we were there so late.

I left a 40 pound tip...probably about $55.

As we were walking back to our inn (its dining was closed by the time we were ready for supper), we heard a "clack" "clack" "clack" sound. It grew louder and louder. Finally we turned around, and it was our waitress, running down the street toward us.

We stopped walking and she caught up, and breathless, she told us we had left too much money for the tip, and she was returning it to us.

I about pooped, reached to my wallet as if to take it, and gave her 20 more for her trouble. It really does feel better to give than to receive.

Good for your sister.
  3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

You know, I realized that over the past few years that I have really talked alot of shit about the South (education, obesity, mortality rate, racism, teen pregnancy, etc. etc) but over Christmas, I was talking to someone that I know (originally from here) who has a phD and works in D.C. for NOAA (really smart woman) and we talked about the good things about the south.....and the good things far exceed the bad, IMO.

Another girl in the room who just moved back to New Orleans from L.A. told us a story about one of her friends' mom out in L.A. had passed away. When she showed up to her friends house, she brought a few homemade dishes. Everyone was absolutely mortified. They asked her why she did such a thing. She explained to them, that where she is from, in the South, when someone passes, those closest to the deceased are brought food from family and friends for days and sometimes weeks. She said that they were absolutely appalled at the thought and made her feel uncomfortable for doing so.

Anyways, without making this post too long to read, we talked about alot of things about the South that are better than other parts of the nation/world. I came to the conclusion that perhaps I should back off on criticizing the South and not take for granted what is really great about it.
    shane0911 and LSUsupaFan like this.
  4. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

The Dirty South rules! Glad to see your deep thoughts combined with a Tulane education is finally producing something worthwhile @Cajun Sensation :)
    shane0911 likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have never been to a funeral or a wake anywhere outside the south so I just kind of assumed that bringing food was the thing to do everywhere. I can't understand why anybody would be "appalled" at somebody bringing food.
    fanatic and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

She said that everyone was freaked out by it. idk
  7. LaSalleAve

Everyone who read that is scratching their head wondering wtf did they do wrong....
  8. LaSalleAve

9. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

They do it in Oklahoma. Not sure if that is considered the south.

Regardless, anything they do on the wacky ass left coast is almost assuredly wrong so who cares what they think. Bunch of pretentious sons a bitches.
    tigerchick46 likes this.
  10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

this is pretty standard, hell we bring food, come and clean your house, take your children or grandchildren for a few days. It doesnt stop. My uncle passed a couple of years ago and one of the family friends pulled up a pit on a trailer at my grandmothers house and smoked meat for 4 days, fried fish and make countless gumbos.
    Cajun Sensation and fanatic like this.