No coach would send your Qb on the sideline into the game with 32 seconds to go without the 2nd play

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerCliff, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

This will be the last time I comment on this. There was no second play, because the second play is a no brainer. Clock it. The "second play" depends TOTALLY on what happens with the first play. It may have been a situation where they need to send Lee and a bunch of receivers in, had play #1 been a big loss. THERE WAS NO SECOND PLAY!!

2. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

You are right, JJ was not given a second play. According to Coach Stud, Crowton sent JJ in with one play. If the run failed, Crowton was to send in a pass play. There was no mention of spiking the ball to stop the clock. The intention was to take two more shots at the endzone. They had enough time but Crowton got too cute again and all the players were confused as to what the second play was, substitutions became chaos. Hebert saved the day by just snapping the ball to give a chance that something good might happen.

3. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

They would have only had one more shot. It was third down. There were nearly 30 seconds on the clock when Jefferson was tackled. That's plenty of time to run two more plays. The next play needed to be a throw into the endzone. Should have run a sprint out, so Jefferson could throw the ball away without risk of intentional grounding if nobody is open. Better yet, just leave Lee in the game and hand off to Ridley on second down, so you have Lee's arm in the game for third down. They had plenty of time to exhaust their downs without having to waste one.

4. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

See that's were I have a VERY big problem.

WTF is CGC doing taking JL out of the game? First play is a run that Ridley could have done, and you want to give JJ the ball in a PASS situation with the game on the line?

5. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

He's in love with options and misdirections. Look at the ridiculous play they ran on first down the previous time they got down near the endzone. He seems to think the defense won't be able to react to what he's drawn up, but most of the time the formation and personnel give everything away. Who didn't know Jefferson was going to run (or option) the ball?

They had first and goal from the 2 with :36 to play. Plenty of time for two passes and a run before fourth down (third down has to be a pass to stop the clock and settle things down before fourth down). Pass-run-pass would have left them at least :10 (the first down pass took just :04). It was completely obvious that they had no plan. They were just running one play at a time on the fly, which led to the keystone kops routine. Once everything went awry, they needed to get to the line and clock the ball, but apparently, none of them can think quickly enough to figure that out. Totaly inexcusable.

If they had wanted Jefferson to clock the ball after the failed rush, they wouldn't have been trying to make mass personnel changes. That episode was entirely on the coaches (again). I've never seen a staff more inept at clock management. They are in a class by themselves in that regard, and that's not an exaggeration.

6. west_tex_tiger

west_tex_tiger Founding Member

2 good observations. We do give away the play by the formation and personnel most of the time. If we are going to do that, why not put in Sheppard to take the direct snap and run. Everybody, knows Jefferson is going to run, so you've already lost the element of surprise. You might as well put in your best runner. You second point is also painfully true. These guys are about the worst I've ever seen at clock management.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was a poor move for Crowton to send in Jefferson (which signaled a QB run or QB option) and a second poor move to send in late substitutions and cause confusion.

That's just it, The perceptive center had to take charge because the QB still had not called for the ball to spike it. When the play came in late and the team was confused, the QB should have clocked it immediately. We still had plays available. Saving time was essential. He's supposed to be clock-aware enough to make that call himself.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I know most people disagree with me on this, but I have no problem with him sending JJ in on 2nd down. If anything (and I'm presuming a coach with reasonable clock management and communications skills here), it eliminated a mis-communication because he could tell JJ directly what to do, while he had to communicate to Lee with hand signals. And let's be clear: the clock did not become an issue until after the only play Miles sent in. When JJ was tackled there were :26 seconds on the clock.

Now for those of you who insist the only option here was to kill the clock: I could not disagree with you more. Why throw away an opportunity to run a play with the game on the line? Here's what should have happened (and remember, the clock was stopped after the 1st down play, JJ got to go into the huddle and give these instructions): Miles should have given JJ the play he ran, then said,"if it doesn't work, get everyone back to the line and run (whatever play bunches the formation tight and sends Ridley between your two best blockers). Snap on the first sound. If it doesn't work, line up quickly and do the exact same thing on fourth down." I submit that when the second down play ended, an efficiently coached offense could have hustled to the line, run a dive play, regrouped and run the exact same dive play, all in 26 seconds if necessary.

I am not a fan of JJ, am way past ready to see Lee as the starter. But I refuse to blame the end of the game debacle we saw on him.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I agree with this, but we're talking about a quarterback who has repeatedly demonstrated poor football intelligence. Why put him in a position where he was expected to think with the game on the line?

10. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Corrrect. JJ was confused because he wasn't given really good instructions on the sideline. He should have been given at least 2 plays - the option play he ran and the "if necessary" play that we ended up needing.

Instead, with the clock ticking, our coaches decide to get cute. They were going to try and get 2 more plays instead of a "clock-it" and then the 4th and goal play with Ridley to win the game.

So our coaches sent a totally different personell package in the game while the clock was ticking. They were gonna try a quick pass on 3rd down (which would have stopped the clock or scored we hope) and then the 4th and goal play.

And JJ wasn't ready for any of it, because he wasn't properly coached through it.