(Non-LSU) Hogs going to start Mustain

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ARTiger, Sep 5, 2006.

1. ARTiger

ARTiger Founding Member

Maybe old news but I'm catching up....

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=30726&SPID=2419&DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=591553

(Has anything changed at the quarterback position based on last night?)

“I just had a visit with Robert Johnson. I want to get this really clear. Robert Johnson has shown so much character and integrity and this is what makes coaching hard. He has done everything we have asked him to do. I think he played well. He did some good things. He had some balls dropped. We had some balls put on the ground that weren’t his fault. We are asking him to go to wide receiver right now. He’s accepted that with class and we are going to go with Mitch (Mustain) right now (at quarterback). We are going to get him ready and Casey (Dick) will be right behind him.”

“Robert (Johnson) has so much integrity and class, I really hope he’ll have a true role at receiver and I think he can help us. It’s not all his fault. It’s not one person’s fault, it’s a team game. Sometimes you have to make hard decisions. And this is a hard one because he works so hard. You worry about something like that because he works so hard. He cares, he’s a team player. He has done everything we have asked him to do and especially when it isn’t his fault. At this particular time we feel like we need to make this move.”

(Did you make this decision based on progress Mitch has made in practice and his performance against USC?)

“Mitch (Mustain) has done some good things all through camp. He’s been very accurate. He has shown some very good things under pressure. And then he gets in the game and can execute and take us down the field. I just feel like, at this time, you have to give him a shot.”

“We are trying to do what is best for our team. It has been close all through camp. We went with the experienced guy (Robert Johnson) and I think we did the right thing. Let’s just see what happens. I know Robert (Johnson) can still be a very good teammate and play a good role for us.”

2. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

Nutt is moving his starting QB to receiver and starting a freshman QB after one game. Sounds more than a little desparate.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Probably better for Johnson. Like Marcus Randall, he isn't going to be a pro prospect at QB, but he just might make himself into a pro receiver or running back prospect.

4. ARTiger

ARTiger Founding Member

Funny thing is that MANY people up here are really for the idea. The kid only played a few series, right? Talk is all about the future.

Not much love for Robert Johnson from what I can tell.

This does sound like desperation and I think Nutt may really be feeling the pressure to win or leave.

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Did you see the way he came off the bench?

It was way to late, but he came right off the bench and stepped into the huddle like a seasoned vet.

I am not declaring him greatness or anything, but he is not your typical freshman.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

As long as he can get the ball to McFadden, the QBs are interchangeable this year.

7. Cubix

Cubix Founding Member

He seemed like he had the same effect Tuitama had when he came in against Oregon. Other than scoring 21 unanswered and a dropped pass away from going to OT.

I think it is a good choice, and if he didn't start Mitch, there would be some pissed off hog fans.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

There's already ten's of thousands of those. :hihi: