Not much different from last week

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBrit, Oct 17, 2010.

1. TigerBrit

TigerBrit Founding Member

1. Absent a trick FG play, MSU starters matched LSU starters into 3Q, until they were exhausted. (Zero depth, starters in til the end of the game). That matches last week - needing a trick FG play to beat an FBS opponent.
    2. We ran fewer plays than our opponent
    3. Dismal 3-for-13 on 3rd down. "A win is a win"? Have you no pride?
    4. With JJ in the game, everyone in the stadium knows the 3 plays he can run on 1st & 2nd down. No-one cares on 3rd down. May as well just punt. At least no TO at the 5.
    5. The receiving corps ran a fraction of their play-book in game conditions. Do we expect them to just turn it on at Auburn?
    6. Both QBs & sometimes the OC seem to have minimal control of the game. Do we expect JL to just turn it on at Auburn?
    7. JJ's body language suggests he doesn't trust his play either.
    8. Tolliver made an unbelievable one-handed catch at the side-line, and got one and maybe both feet down; NFL stuff per Michael Clayton
    9. When JL does throw the ball down the field, both team and crowd came alive
    10.More scornful commentary from ESPN, but these are the same guys who feature the senile Holtz, the puerile, farcical court-room thing, and the patronizing, demeaning helmet stickers. Where's the genuine humor of the pre-ABC ESPN & Christopher James Berman?

Some differences:
    11. Tolliver aside, the highlight of the game was the alumni band
    12. Ridley got a rest. Where was Blue?
    13. We saw what MFord can do; elecrtrifying at times.
    14. Score & stats were padded in 4Q when MSU D was spent

Some random thoughts:
    15. The celebrated 9 & 0 1973 team didn't win another game. We are within a whisker (actually 2) of being 5 & 2. Odds of converting 4th & long to win the game again? About 1 in 1000.
    16. Can we afford to spy Newton with both Shepard AND Baker?
    17. A metaphor for people of the caliber of Tolliver, Shepard, Randle & DPaterson might be a soccer team fielding the likes of Didier Drogba, Landon Donovan, Fernando Torres. If their coach utilized them for 5% of the time, his chairman would fire him after 44 days (See Damned United DVD). When does JAlleva step in?

1 person likes this.
  2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Without any research and going by memory alone(at 3:30AM no less) here goes:
    1. I see what you're getting at, but even this year UF>>>>>>>>>>McNeese
    2. I know for sure we ran more plays than UF last week.
    3 and 4 yes
    5. TT just "turned it on" last week
    6. I share some of your skepticism, but JL did just "turn it on" for the 2nd half of a road game at Auburn(see 2008). Probably vs. a slightly better or at least equal defense
    7. to 10. all yes
    11. yes
    12. I think it was Ford's turn to show us what he's got and he was pretty decent
    13. see 12
    14. yes
    I see most of your points on the rest, but a soccer analogy just goes right over my head. This is America. I don't think soccer is a good analogy tool. If fact, IMO soccer is a tool. Good day to your sir(in the spirit of being European and all)

3. TigerBrit

ehusson80: I hear & understand your comments. #17 assumes some soccer (football?) knowledge, e.g from World Cup, or from FSC. Based on your other analysis, I suspect u got the point. When DOES JA intervene?

I'll draw the line at cricket analogies.

As sports films go, "Damned United" is a fine docudrama. Google "Brian Clough" for the real-life central figure in the movie; he is world-wide soccer icon. The film's more about off-field conflict than the game itself.

I find it hard to sleep after a game, even this relatively insignificant one. The forum is good therapy. What's your excuse?

4. TigerBrit

Plays: LSU 71 / FLA 56 .... mea culpa

5. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Very apparently the win over Florida wasn’t nearly as impressive as a lot of the posters who believe Miles is a great coach thought, as Florida suffered its third straight defeat and second home loss in a row to MSU no less. In other words, the Florida we beat via a lucky bounce last week isn’t the same Florida of the past several seasons. Meaning, of course, that the win against Florida last week reconfirming that Miles is a great coach wasn’t nearly as impressive as many Miles admirers were led to believe.

In any event, our problem is what it is, which is GC is an inept OC and LSU is the third offense in a row now that he has made totally dysfunctional. Indeed, despite the four and five star offensive talent on the team, it was ludicrous for anyone to let themselves believe that somehow this offense could overcome GC’s ineptness.

The fact of the matter is JJ, JL, and the offense are all so dysfunctional exactly because of GC, and the offense will never recover until GC is fired. After all, he is the coach and it is ludicrous for posters to denigrate certain players that are the recipient of his coaching. Very apparent also is that Miles isn’t a competent enough offensive coach to make up for GC’s coaching deficit. Not surprising really.

Anyway, Randle only caught one pass last week against Florida and zero passes against McNeese. Was he absent last night or is it he is GC’s forgotten man? He’s only the best receiver on the team. I had to watch the game on my laptop because I had to work and I couldn’t see clear enough to see if he was even on the field like I can at home on the big screen with HD, but it was better than nothing.

6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Who the hell thinks this is true? :)
    He MIGHT be a good coach during the week, but I wish he'd oversleep every gameday...then get lost on the way to the stadium.

1 person likes this.
  7. white river

white river Veteran Member

re

(AMEN the that) i live up in the ozarks surrounded by razor back fans. they all say whats up with the coaches you have and your QB'S. with the talent you have yall should be ranked at least in the top five .

8. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

This thread confuses me.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

"That matches last week - needing a trick FG play to beat an FBS opponent."

Didn't read after that...

We didnt play good, but I understand the lack of killer intensity for Neese. I dont agree with it, but it happens.

Move on.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Why are you worried about Arkansas' fans whose team allowed one man to hang 65 points on them yesterday?

They are, as usual, an after-thought in the SEC. Tell them that when they razz you about LSU.