Nuestro Himno: are you offended by a Spanish-spangled Banner?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Apr 28, 2006.

1. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

As usual, CParso is showing a total lack of understanding of the big picture. I don't begrudge you for this CParso, I pity you. One day you will leave your little shelter, see the world for what it is, and the weight of reality will crush you.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I'll tell you what annoys me!

Instead of going to the ATM and entering my pin number then selecting "Fast Cash $40" and then grabbing my cash, card, & receipt and being done.....

Well now I have to select 1 for English after entering my pin!#@@#!##@!##

PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS<@M#_*!$E_((@#!U_Y!@*#E(&

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You pity me, I pity you, Mr. T pities the fool. Just a whole bunch of pitying going on.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i will add you all to my pity list.

you can go around in circles on this forever, but what we need to realize is that the greasy mexos are wonderful and we should embrace them.

5. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I have to agree with Salty's comments. When you posted the statement below, I originally thought you were joking. If you doubt the number and siginificance of illegals coming here to send money back home, well...I'll just give you the benefit of the doubt and write it off as youth and a lack of exposure to what is really going on in this country.

Correct, in the past, most immigrants have chosen to learn it on their own. A large number of these Mexican immigrants today (many illegal) are refusing to do so. It is absolutely ridiculous to see want ads for supervisors, human resources, or any other positions with the ability to speak Spanish listed as a requirement for the job. That should immediately warrant an ICE investigation.

I care because a willingness to learn English shows a commitment to this country. I interpret an unwillingness to learn English as showing a commitment to sucking everything you can from this country while still being committed to Mexico. This goes far beyond preserving their "heritage". The ability to speak English is supposedly required for citizenship. If they do not care about being citizens, then they are obviously here only to enjoy whatever benefits the U.S. can afford them.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/index.htm

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

But their children aren't. Like Supa said, original immigrants have always had problems picking up the English language but the children usually do learn it.

Just as all of us are. But if you are referring to social programs, I don't really support those for anybody, much less illegal immigrants.

My feelings on the subject are; I don't like that mexicans can hop over the border any time they like. I don't like that they expect us to learn spanish to accomodate them. I really don't like that they can receive social program benefits. BUT - if they can get by in the country picking fruit for $1.50/hour without learning english - I don't care. So long as they don't make it my problem, I enjoy buying cheap fruit. I'm not as far away from ya'lls feelings as you might think.

7. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I never knew you were this naive.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

He is not being naive. He formed his opinion by looking at historical trends. First generations generally do not learn a new language. The second generation usually speaks both languages. The third speaks only the language of the new country. This is true of every immigration wave in US history.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I was wrong to say that immigrants will learn english, as obviously many of them don't, but I still stick with the opinion that their children will.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't worry CParso, many of us have a quite different notion of who doesn't get the big picture.