Nuestro Himno: are you offended by a Spanish-spangled Banner?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Apr 28, 2006.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Actually the 1st, 5th, and 6th, amendments extend to everyone in the United States no matter their status.

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

You swam to this country didn't you? :hihi:

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Charlie Daniels says and I concur.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

we are sort of merging two arguments together.

1. should we do something about all the illegal dudes. we all agree that we should do something, but we are not sure exactly what. so there is no real fundamental disagreement there.

2. are symbolic things like flags and language important. i think if we care about freedom at all, we have to concede that people should be allowed (if not encouraged) to disprespect flags as well as learn or not learn whatever language they want.

i still have difficulty believing anyone is actually "offended" by a translated anthem. as of now i can't decide if anyone cares or if they are just discussing it as a way to introduce another argument about immigration. it is really beyond comprehension that anyone could be offended by a the song, so i will assume nobody really is.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

It is not a direct translation. That is the insulting aspect of it. It's been modified for propaganda and political correctness. It's a stupid ploy on their part anyway.

6. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Do you mean--

Amendment I --- that congress can not tell us what we can or can not say, even if it is critical of the government.
    No big deal. Say what you want. Just say it from Mexico.

Amendment V --- that you can't be tried twice for the same crime and have the right to not give self-incriminating testimony.
    We don't want to arrest you and then have to feed, clothe, take care of your medicals etc. We want to send you back to Mexico.

Amendment VI --- you have the right to an attorney and to know what you are accused of committing.
    You are accused of being an illegal immigrant. Go back to Mexico and get you an attorney.

BUT LET'S USE ALL THE AMENDMENTS NOT JUST THREE:

How about:

Amendment XIII --- Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the U.S. or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
    In other words, slavery is eliminated. Quit allowing them to work for the rich cat for three dollars an hour and sending that to Mexico.

Amendment XIV --- All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States: nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without the due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

We are trying to give you due process. You are here illegally and we are trying to legally send you back.

I see it as the American constitution, not the illegal immigrant constitution.:usaflagwa :)

If they go through the naturalization process and become a citizen, THEN they have every right I do as an American. Not until.

7. tigerintn

tigerintn Founding Member

My feeling here is that many Mexicans (i know there are exceptions, so please don't post all your friends who love America) hate America. There are tons of examples of this on the internet at snopes.com, but this is the one that boiled me the most.

The entire article can be found here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/hispanic.asp

I believe that is is examples like this that make Americans unsympathetic for their causes.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I agree. There are foreign-language translations of the National Anthem on the web, including Spanish. Those are direct translations.

But the lyric of Nuestro Himno ("Our Anthem"), not La bandera Estrellada ("The Star-Spangled Banner") is not a translation, but instead a new lyric that is clearly inflammatory, especially in the second verse.