Ole Miss = gold mine for talent!!!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by col reb, Apr 27, 2006.

1. col reb

col reb Founding Member

NEWS FLASH: Thomas Joseph (T.J.) Johnson, a 6-year-old first grader at Jackson Academy, has committed to Ole Miss and is expected to enroll in the fall of 2020.

"My favorite colors are red and blue," Johnson told the Clarion-Ledger. "I just decided: Why wait? Daddy was getting tired of all the phone calls. Mommy wanted me to concentrate on school: you know, learning to read and write and color."

A commitment is a non-binding oral agreement, but T.J. insists that he knows what he wants and intends to carry through on his pledge.

"It came down to Ole Miss or Mississippi State, and, Mister, I just don't like maroon," Johnson said.

REALLY BIG HITTER

To date, young Johnson has played only T-ball in organized sports but led his league with 35 home runs in 36 at-bats.

"T.J.'s just so much bigger and stronger than the rest of the kids," his coach, John Chance, said. "Most times, he crosses home plate before the other team even picks up the ball."

One factor in Johnson's pledge to Ole Miss might be that Mike Bianco has agreed to let him try to play two sports.

Young Johnson will begin YMCA flag football play next fall and projects as a quarterback or safety. Or defensive tackle or tight end. Or offensive tackle or middle linebacker.

NCAA quidelines prohibit Ole Miss coaches from commenting on an unsigned, prospective student-athelete, but insiders say Ed Orgeron considers Johnson's commitment a huge recruiting coup. He believes Johnson's upside is tremendous because of the size of his feet and hands.

Sources close to the Ole Miss program say that the Rebels are joining a growing trend of universities around the nation that are trying to stay ahead of the recruiting curve by projecting a youngster's growth potential and by looking at family history.

IT'S ALL IN THE GENES

"T.J. daddy was an All-State tackle before he tore up his knee. His mama played basketball and ran track," the source told this newspaper. "We believe it's in the blood. We don't think this acorn fell far from the tree."

Mary Johnson, T.J.'s mother, told The Clarion-Ledger that she just wants what's best for her son.

"You know, I guess I always knew T.J. was going to be a football player," Mary Johnson said. "It's been six and a half years now and my stomach is still sore from all that kicking.

"T.J.'s always been active, she continued. "He was crawling at three months, walking at nine months. When he was just a toddler, he wanted to play with the big boys. At first, I was scared he would get hurt. Now, I'm scared he's going to hurt some other mother's son. But the thing about T.J. is that he's such a sweet-natured kid. He wouldn't hurt a fly."

Ole Miss coaches are said to be confident they can change that part of Johnson's makeup should he develop into a linebacker.

"You can teach a kid to hit, but you can't teach him to be 6-foot-3 and 240 pounds," one Ole Miss assistant said. "Man, did you see the hands on that kid?"

Johnson is Ole Miss's ninth commitment for the recruiting class of 2020. The Rebels would like to convince at least five or six more 6-year-olds this spring.

"We've got more openings than usual because we lost a couple of commitments for 2019," one assistant coach said.

"One kid decided he liked soccer best," the coach added. The other changed his favorite color to purple and gold (actually he said maroon- just my interpretation added):lol:

This article comes from Rick Cleveland who writes for the Clarion Ledger in Jackson
    [email protected]

Just thought you guys would enjoy:hihi: :hihi:

2. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

I find humor in it mainly for the fact that I'm an aspiring sports journalist, and from the classes that I have taken thus far, I've been taught to avoid cliches at all costs... this story is chock-full of 'em... ;)

3. col reb

col reb Founding Member

:confused: What? This is simply a humorous story he made up. He wasn't actually reporting on an event. He has been in the business for quite some time. In fact, I think his dad was too. He has covered SECCG and Super Bowls. SOMEONE must think highly of him. Do they offer "personality 101" at your school?:) :wink: