Over or Under-achievement?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pennsylvania, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

LSU entered this year with high expectations. Personally I was hoping for another shot at the championship.
    After a very sloppy start to the year, including a loss and some close calls, I started to think the 2012 Tigers were a 3 or 4 loss team.
    Now, the regular season ends with LSU posting an impressive 10-2 record, albeit with a lot of very close games.
    So, I ask you all. Did they overachieve or underachieve this year?

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

With all the adversity they went through and to still end up with 10 wins, I'm not sure how anyone can call them underachievers. But I'm sure someone will.

LSUTiga and tigermark like this.
  3. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Between an incredible number of injuries to key starters, the Mathieu sideshow, and breaking in a new QB, 10-2 is about right. Had Les hired a full-time OC and moved Stud back to the OL I think we beat Florida.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I've definitely been overwhelmed by LSU this year. Simply amazing.

Seriously, considering Mettenberger wasn't exactly ready for the big stage (nor were his receivers), and considering it seems our defense over-performed their physical limitations in the middle of the season (competent offenses have gashed us late in the year), I guess the season was a success. It's frustrating to see the defense struggle and to see our offense hit or miss, making games out of Ole Miss and Arkansas. It's hard not to feel like we are underperforming, but Les Miles keeps winning, frustrating or not.

So kudos, Les and the entire team; 10-2 is an excellent accomplishment.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Exactly what my take is on the season.

Miles still scares the hell out of me on Gameday. I know, I know.

But just like yesterday when we had the ball with 3 minutes and we stop the clock 3 times. Once on an incomplete screen, then Hill runs out of bounds then Miles burns a TO. Lucky Beck ran for 54 yards to flip the field and suck the air out of the stadium.

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I think this season is the absolut epitome of the difference between winning record vs good football.

I know most of you guys live, breathe and will die National Championship, and that is only dependent on winning record. In that regard, this team pretty much, "got it done."

I would rather see really good football, and I don't think many of you, if honest, will say we played a lot of really good football this year. From my perspective, there is more to it than "Scoreboard."

So like much of this season, I think the answer is "It Depends."

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

So was Nick playing good football when he had his QB throw a pick at the goal line that cost him the game, instead of using one of the country's best OL and RB units? Funny, I don't see anyone riding his jock over that, or questioning his status as a living coaching god.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Wait, your thread title is "over or under-achievement." Then you speak of expectations. The two are not necessarily tied to each other. For example, has Mett under-achieved because he did not walk in and put up All-SEC numbers right from the beginning? I don't think so, but those seem to have been the expectations, which were unrealistic.

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Nick Saban is NOT coming back to LSU ! Just get over Saban. We don't want him.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

USCw can tell you all about false expectations. I think we played to about where our talent equaled. And not really a knock but honestly Everytime les wins a game I feel almost like it was an overachievement. That's because so many can go either way. I suppose it's a testament to his magicry. If thats not a word, it should be.

lsu-i-like and diamondheadtiger like this.