Over Ranked DL and Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JP4LSU, Oct 13, 2007.

1. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

I don't know what happened after the USC game. The defense has been pathetic in the 1st half of the Tulane game, has been questionable agains UF, and awful against UK.

DL
    I can understand wanting to have a containment type pass rush against UF, but the DL had absolutely no pressure on Woodson. They looked very over ranked.

Defense Game Plan
    The game plan for UK was awful. You know they make their bread and butter with 10 yd passes and quite a few deeper passes when the load up with WR's. If a good QB has time he will pick any secondary apart.

Answer is to rush aggressively (something the DL has not done for 2 games) throw a lot of different blitz packages. There were no adjustments made to the defense plans. It seems there were a few more blitzes in the 2nd half but they had no affect. I noticed one time the LB's came up for a late blitz and then just sort of stopped when they get to the line.

What made this defense great this year was the aggressiveness and the blitzing they threw at QB's. That is non exitent in the game plans.

Now against UF I can understand not throwing a lot of blitzes and having containment type DL rush against Tebow, I don't agree with it but I can understand it.

Am I the only that feels like this. I'm not just blaming the players intensity and aggressiveness but Pelini also.

2. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

They didnt blitz neeeeeeeeear enough, they should have kept the heat on this guy...he would have folded. I know one thing..the Tiger "D" better get their "feces" together this week!

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is the best QB in the nation. He has some really good receivers. He is going to be a top 10 draft choice (maybe top 3).

We didn't play Mississippi State tonight folks.

The most dissappointing thing is that Kentucky was purely one-dimensional but that didn't seem to matter. They just outplayed us (line of scrimmage especially).

1 person likes this.
  4. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

They just didn't get the job done. They haven't lived up to the hype. They dominated weak QB's early on, but got worked over pretty good the last two weeks. Dodged a bullet last week with the two turnovers, which looked more like Florida mistakes than plays by the D.

I don't know what the problem is, but I agree that they should have blitzed more tonight. Maybe we are asking too much of the d-line. Dorsey has been pretty quiet.

Zenon was pretty bad tonight too, and maybe it would have been a good idea to get Eugene some more work in earlier games.

5. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Amen, bend but don't break NEVER works against a QB that can throw.

Pelini has been reading his clips too much.

6. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

There is something wrong when 4 very good DL's can't get any pass rush on a QB. No pressure at all.

USC put a lot more pressure on Woodson than we did. When he got pressured he made some very bad decision. That is why I thought for sure Pelini would go after him.

Highly disappointed with the defensive game plans the last 2 games. DL has been thoroughly handled.

7. TC

TC Le Big Mac

I'm afraid he won't be so highly touted after Florida spanks Kentucky next Saturday.

8. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

I think on one hand you have to give the Kentucky O line credit for providing good protection for their QB. Also, it is tough to blitz when Woodson is so good at quick short passes.

On the other hand , it seems like our Oline got outplayed by the Kentucky defensive line on quite a few occasions.:cuss:

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The biggest problem with the defense is the personnel against the spread... they don't put in extra corners.. they match up safeties and LBs against WRs... NOT GONNA WORK! That strategy was tested against UF and exposed against UK....

10. True Grit

True Grit Founding Member

Dont blame it on our dline. Blame it on Pelini for not blitzing. OUr dline is the best, but they need some help.