parking for 2011

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigerleg24, Nov 16, 2010.

1. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i don't care where you stand on the issue, $40 is robbery. i can park in the effing superdome for $20.

i guess that'll show me for religiously picking up our garbage every week.

tailgating will never be the same and it's a damn shame.

the tiger stadium crowd has changed for the worse in recent years, now it's going to spread to tailgating.

btw, this isn't about trash, it's about $. the biggest perpetrators of trash are the frats and they will walk over for free to trash the PG.
    this move will not eliminate the trash problem.

i knew this day would come but i didn't think this soon, the budget cuts give the university a justifiable cause to do this but i'd thought they start out at $10 and eventually raise to $20.

$40 is insane. and then when i learned the $ would go to the ath dept and not to education, it made me just a little pissed.

and yes, this is happening at other schools, and that's what this will make LSU: just another school.

2. LSUtiger327

coming in september...the tower drive tigerfanz, location: somewhere probably not on tower drive.
    $40, sure.

$40 x 6 home games in 2011, 8 home games in 2012. it adds up.

the numbers of kids i have in day care goes from 1 to 2 in septemeber. that's llike $1200 a month. i need every $20 bill i can find.

3. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

And you can park for $20 at LSU. It just won't be where you want. Plus this is not because of trash. Go re-read the release. This is due to the numerous cuts that have been made to the university & the funds will help offset that. Trash cleanup is only a fraction of those costs.

And explain to me how tailgating will be any different. I guarantee you that if you walk down Dalrymple from Highland Rd to the Indian Mounds next year, you will see the exact same groups throwing the exact same parties. And if anyone does leave, there will be another tailgating group happy to take their place.

Can you elaborate on this? Personally, I have seen no real change in the crowds, but the slight changes I have seen have all been for the better.

Well, that's a nice baseless accusation. I guess the areas I walked through where I saw grown men tossing trash near a trashcan rather than in it that were nohere near the PG were also frat guys. Just a bunch of overweight middle aged frat guys. You are right though. This will not eliminate the problem, but that was not the intention in the first place.

So soon? Really? Other schools have been doing this for 10-20-30 years. When would you have preferred LSU wait? When would you have gone "You know what, they finally decided in 2025 to charge for parking. I think they waited the right amount of time!"

Lastly, you are assuming that for $40 a car, LSU is selling their soul. Guess what...when you are in the stadium on Saturday, look at the scoreboards. Look at the light boards on the upper decks. Look at the program in your hand. LSU sold their soul long ago. This won't make us any less of a school.

4. LSUtiger327

i know it's not about trash, but LSU said it partially was.

not the groups, the people within them. they will shrink. i will be there, but some people in our group who aren't die hards will stop showing up.
    if it's not different for you, congrats.

LSU has started the process of pricing out some of the real fans with the advent of TAF and PSL's. families that used to have 4 tickets now can only afford 2. now wealthy people are buying them to wine and dine clients or use them socially instead of screaming their lungs out at the game. once again, if this doesn't affect you, congrats.

i base it upon the pictures i see on the internet that are posted. i'm not naive enough to think everyone but them takes care of campus, but they need to be held accountable and aren't.

2025 sounds about right. i don't care what other schools do because other schools are below LSU when it comes to tailgating. it's the one thing we had over every other school.

$40 a car is ridiculous. 10-20 is fair.
    i'm not saying the school has sold its soul more than any other school that takes advantage of revenue streams at their disposal. i'm talking about the impact on tailgating.

5. Jester

Jester Founding Member

This is ridiculous.

My family comes into town for every game and brings the RV. They're already paying a FORTUNE for their RV pass. Then, they and I are not even allowed to park our cars by the RV. Thats kinda expected for me, since I often don't come till Saturday, but my dad actually has to park his RV, and then unhook his Jeep and take it somewhere else to park it.

So, now my dad is going to have to pay another $20-$40 to park his car AFTER he's already paid a ridiculous amount for his RV parking pass.

I'm sorry, but while I don't have a problem with them charging a reasonable amount for parking in parking lots ( $5-$7 ), I think that $20 per game is RIDICULOUS........and charging $20 to park in a muddy field all the way at the end of River Road is just plain stupid.

This is going to piss ALOT of people off.

EDIT: And you know what, it pisses me off that there are people on here spewing BS about how this is great. I am one of those people who can barely afford my season tickets, but manage to do so because I am an alumni and love LSU, but anyone who hasn't seen the change in the LSU fanbase over the last 10 years is blind. This is just going to eliminate even more of the real fans who truly care about LSU. $150-$350 extra down the drain is damn pretty penny to just have to throw away over a 3 month period. I don't have that and alot of others that I know don't either. Well, maybe my season tickets will go to one more business who can buy the tickets and write them off as a tax deduction, so two people can go sit in my seats and not give a damn about the game while I sit at home.

6. LSUtiger327

i willingly pump hundreds/thousands of dollars a year into my tailgate to make it a place will people will come week in and week out.

it has become a tradition that bonds my friends and family.

the problem is, people like me are in the minority. most people will park on the outskirts for free and walk to a tailgate like mine.

i don't begrudge anyone for showing up to my party for free, but people that are behind this that don't go through what i go through are sickening.

7. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

OK, I'll make a note that the die hards will still be there. It is the bandwagoners and fair weather fans who we will lose.

But you just said the die hards will still come. I mean, if LSU football means that much to you, you will make whatever adjustments you have to make in order to get to the game, right?

As for the "wealthy" people being in the stands nibbling on caviar & sipping on hot tea...yeah, I'm not seeing it. My season tickets are in the endzone right below the suites & I even see them screaming & cheering. There is no direct correlation between being a fan and your household income. If you are surrounded by a bunch of rich folks who sit on their hands all game, you may want to move your seats. I actually have moved mine for the opposite reason. I used to be surrounded by people who were idiots who never set foot in an LSU classroom & Couldn't spell LSU if you spotted them the "L" & "U." But they sure could call our QB a worthless ni**er at the drop of a hat.

If raising prices means that we get rid of these kind of people, I say we can't raise them high enough!

So let me get this straight. You blame an entire group based on pictures you saw online from the day after, even though you admit that they are not the only ones guilty? Did these fraternity guys leave their letters on the trash? Did they put up signs saying "THIS IS TKE TRASH MFer!" I doubt it. Sounds to me like you wanted an easy group to blame for the trash problem & they are an easy target because you still have pent up hatred from college when a fraternity guy banged the girl you had a crush on in Biology class.

You once again are making a direct correlation to tailgating & the cost of the gameday experience. It is asinine. The people who tailgate on the parade grounds (I'm one of them) tailgate no harder than the same people who tailgate down by Lockett & have been paying for parking for years.

Go drive around the Chimes area before a game. There are people selling spots in their apartment complex. They are not charging $10 or $20. They are charging $30 or $40, and guess what...they sell out every spot every game. If you want someone to blame, blame them because they are the ones who set the market value.

8. LSUtiger327

some will, some won't. doesn't mean i'm still not friends with the ones that won't. and honestly with another kid in daycare next year, i'm not sure i can tailgate the same way i used to. i'll still find a way to go but it won't be easy.

your opinion vs mine.

classless fans span all socio-economic groups

i know the spots that i saw on the pics, and i know who tailgates there. that's my evidence. i was friends with dudes from many different fraternities at LSU, none of them banged my girlfriend. but classy comment though.

so you gonna pay $40 to tailgate on the PG next year? or are you going to walk there?
    nevermind, i don't care.

9. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

Dude, I know where you are coming from, I just think that you are wrong that this is somehow going to kill the whole tailgating experience at LSU. The only thing that will keep people away from LSU during football season is a losing record. Look at this season, fans HATE Les Miles, but there has not been a game where the campus was dead. If we finish the season 11-1 and end up in a BCS bowl, do you really think that campus won't be packed again next year?

As for money, I live in Atlanta. I have season tickets. I fly in for games. I have 2 kids in daycare. I have a mortgage. I budget my finances so that I can do all of those things & it means I have to sacrifice elsewhere. If you think I or others should shed a tear over the fact that you may have to do the same, you are wrong.

And for this year, I was not able to tailgate properly because there was no parking available near the PG by the time I got to campus from NOLA. Next year I look forward to being able to have a spot that I will gladly pay $40 for so I can tailgate on the PG again the right way.

10. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Really, so die hard LSU fans are loaded, but fair-weather fans and bandwagoners are the only ones that ever have financial difficulties? Your name really does say it all.

Make whatever adjustments, huh? Yeah, I'm a diehard LSU fan, but I'm not going to turn off my electricity for 3 months or go get another job just so I can go to the LSU games. I'm a 31 year old disabled veteran and I already suffer considerably having to walk as far as I do every gameday, and now I'm going to have to pay LSU to park 2 miles from the stadium?!?!

Do you actually attend every home game? If you haven't seen a huge change in the crowd, then you are either blind or not looking. In fact, one of the big reasons for the LARGE number of fair weather and bandwagon fans, excessive booing, and crowd emptying the stadium way before the end of the game is due to the fact that so many tickets are now sold to individuals or businesses who want the LSU tickets to give out as PR favors or to use as a business/social event, not for the love of the school or the game.............not to mention the fact that your second argument is moot, as well. You moved because you didn't want to be around trashy people. Have you ever watched any of the Real Housewives shows on TV? Sorry bud, but money has nothing to do with class, and lack of money and lack of class do not directly correlate. There are alot of true Tiger Fans who have already been priced out of the ability to purchase season tickets and now this will hurt many more.

Sounds like you're making lame comments defending the frats simply because you were in one. Acting like someone is jealous of the hilariously self-implied sexual prowess of a bunch of guys who pay to have friends is stupid and makes you look like a snotty ass and a prime example of why many people dislike fraternities to begin with. Its not like the fraternities are models of good behavior. He didn't say that no one else leaves a huge mess, he just said that the Greeks have a tendency to be especially bad, which is true.

OK, are you really that oblivious that you think adding a $20-$40 charge to every game day does not add to the cost of the gameday experience? Meathead, huh?

Ok, so some enterprising young person is charging $30 or $40 to people who are too stupid or too lazy to park elsewhere. They have not set any market value. They're selling to maybe 50 people, out of 92,000, and how would them selling a parking spot give us any reason to "blame them". What, LSU officials saw them selling parking spaces and said "Hey, we can do that, and we'll charge exactly what they are!!!" Thats is an absolutely ridiculous statement, pretty much like all of the others.