Pass Interference

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by rania, Sep 29, 2003.

1. rania

rania Founding Member

I am not asking this question to whine about the officiating, but I am really curious.
    Do you all remember the pass that Michael Clayton wasn't able to catch in the end zone? Well I noticed first during the ESPN broadcast and again tonight during the Cox Sports replay that the MSU defender had an arm around Michael Clayton's waist. Isn't that pass interference?

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Sure it is.

But you are preaching to the choir when it comes to me. I hate the officiating in the pros and in college. I think that they decide the out come of too many games. I hate the "excessive celebration" rule. I hate the inconsistency of calls.

I could go on and on to no useful purpose.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The officiating is pretty bad at all levels of all sports. The other night in a tie ball game in the bottom of the 9th, nobody out and Bernie Williams on second the Yankee batter hit a ground ball to the Oriole shortstop who first bobbled the ball and then thew low to first. The Oriole first baseman appeared to catch the ball before the runners foot touched first base but then he dropped the ball. The first base ump was watching to see if the ball got there before the runners foot touched first base and he completly missed seeing the first baseman drop the ball. Yankee manager Joe Torre ran out on the field to argue the call and it ended up being overruled by another ump who was in a position to see what really happened. He ruled that the runner was safe so of course Baltimore manager Mile Hargrove ran out on the field to argue that call. It resulted in a 10 minute delay of the game but at least they got that one right.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

During the Bama - Arkansas game, Arkansas celebrated with players running onto the field after an interception and did not get a call. LSU gets that ridiculous call during the UGA game. I agree that the one consistent thing about the officiating is they are inconsistent.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Bad calls are part of the game. Always have been. You just hope that they are spread evenly between the two teams.

We get away with some, too. LSU does a lot more holding than we get called for ("holding like pros") and we got away with a flagrant personal foul or two so far this year.

6. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Did you notice that after Oliver covered the first fumble in the MSU game, he got up and wanted to pitch the ball to the ref. The ref wasn't looking so he put it down very very carefully. I guess the DL talked a lot about spiking the ball this past week after Hill got hit with that penalty in the UGA game.

7. ronbono

ronbono Founding Member

Ass*&^$ official pretty much decided the Bama game OT with that rediculus celebration penalty on Bama. They had to start their OT offense from the 40.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Whether you like the rule or not (and I absolutely hate it) why can't the players learn to just go to the sideline and celebrate with their team?

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

The Ga Db is not penalized for interfereing with Clayton when he pushes him out of bounds during a pass play.

Webster is called for Pass Interference when he pushes the Miss St player out of bounds during a pass play.

Thre has been improvement though, in officiating, over the last twenty years. In prior years we knew we were going to get screwed by the officials when we palayed vs a Bear Bryant coached team in football or an Adolph Rupp coached team in basketball.

Now the inconsistancies tend to even out over the years. Human beings always are inconsistant.

10. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Officials decided the Bama v Hog game during regulation. On 4th and a few when Arky went for and threw the quick slant pass for the 1st down on the replay the guy didn't catch it. It hit his chest and bounced off the ground back into his arms. So OT should have never happened. I will say however that I can understand missing the call b/c it was "bang-bang".