Patrick White Disappointment?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by max, Jan 19, 2004.

1. max

max Founding Member

Would anybody else be disappointed if we signed Patrick White? I know that he is probably very talented if Saban wants him, but I like winning those recruiting service championships. Insiders rates him as a 1 Star and Rivals rates him as a low 3 Star. With all the four Star and five Star guys that we are still going after for just a few spots, a one star guy really drops our overall rating. The one star guys that we signed in the last few years have not seemed to do much: LB Demps, OL Dysclowski.

What position does Saban want him to play?

Do those team rankings only matter to me? It is a shame to get close to a number 1 class and drop to a #4 class because you sign a 1 star guy.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

If Saban wants him then I want him.

3. DJBurke

DJBurke Founding Member

You just got to trust Saban and his staff. I think that recruiting championships are good to have, but those don't win MNCs (just look at Texas). It is also not reasonable to say that every 4/5 star we go after will sign with us.

4. PlaneauxTiger

PlaneauxTiger Founding Member

No disappointment here...

Look at it this way....rankings do not take into consideration the needs of a team at a position. If we signed 25 defensive players, all 4-5 stars we'd probably have a number 1 class but we'd be playing walk-ons on offense. White fills a need on the team because he can play QB if we get several guys hurt next yr or in 2005.

Is he ranked 2-star based on being a QB or a DB/WR? I am hearing he can play multiple positions.

5. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Don't put too much stock in these recruiting services. You've got to take their ratings with a grain of salt because a lot of the time their info isn't the most up to date. For instance, Rivals has Jacob Hester rated as a 2 star player, but Insiders has him at a 3 star. However, Hester was recruited hard by Texas, Miami, OU, and LSU, all big time programs. Kind of makes you wonder why all these big time programs are after Hester when according to both Rivals and Insiders there is much better talent out there that is available. But if you check Max Emfinger's website, he has Hester rated a 5 star player and the second best Fullback/H-back in the whole damn country. So who are you supposed to believe? Judging by the big time programs that were chasing Hester, I'd have to believe that Emfinger was right in this instance.

Now, with respect to Patrick White, Rivals has him rated as a low 3 star and Insiders a lowly 1 star. However, if you check Max Emfinger's website again, Patrick White is the first 4 star player under the super athlete category and the 8th best in the country, which on Emfinger's list is two spots better than Jerald Watson who just de-committed from LSU and committed to Auburn. Number one on Emfinger's list under the super athlete category is -- you guessed it -- Early Doucet.

6. alaman

alaman Founding Member

I have seen White play. He is a stud athlete

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Athlete Pat White (6-1, 180, 4.5) of Daphne, Alabama took his official visit to LSU this past weekend and after that trip he has seen enough and is close to announcing his college choice. He finished an incredible senior season with 1,905 yards rushing with 31 touchdowns and passed for 1,488 yards and 15 more touchdowns for a total of 3,393 yards and 46 touchdowns.

I got that from the front page at tigerbait. 46 TDs, and nearly 2000 yards rushing. I think this guy will be a project for Coach Saban somewhere. Probably Defense. He is the size Saban seems to like. Maybe an emergency QB but his future will be at an Offensive or Defensive skill position

8. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

Heck no I wouldn't be disappointed. A matter of fact I want him to come here. Demps and Dyakowski were both redshirt freshman this year so it's a little early to say they haven't done much. Recruiting Championships mean something but not much. With or without White we aren't going to finish first anyway.

9. Perple

Perple Founding Member

No I wouldn't be disappoined. Kind of nice to have a QB would could double as a WR/RB or DB. Kind of the same reason I would love to see Hawkins sign at LSU, can play WR or DB.
    1,905 yards Rushing for 21 Tds, 1,488 passing 15 TDs.

10. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

I bet USC wishes they didn't get this 3 star player:

Link