Per Peter King from SI.com....JaMarcus

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SanAntonioTiger, Jan 29, 2007.

1. SanAntonioTiger

SanAntonioTiger Founding Member

ITEM: If the Raiders don't take LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the first pick of the April 28 draft, stop the presses. At a speaking engagement near Palm Springs the other day, USC coach Pete Carroll said he figured he knew his former protégé, Lane Kiffin, would pass on Notre Dame's Brady Quinn in favor of Russell, now that Kiffin is the head coach of the Raiders. His reasoning: Kiffin likes throwing it downfield, and Russell's downfield arm is much stronger than Quinn's. "The kid from LSU is exactly what they're looking for, more than the kid from Notre Dame,'' Carroll said. Just another brick in the wall of the evidence that says we don't quite know where Quinn will go, but we know where Russell is likely to go.

2. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

nice, cant wait to see Russell Throw 60yard bombs...Moss will be excited.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Will be interesting to see if the Raiders can patch it all up with Moss and Porter. I gotta think if Russell starts right away, these guys are gonna be excited to have an actual NFL QB on their team. We shall see.

4. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

As much as I would like to see an LSU player go # 1 overall, I dont know if I like him in Oakland. All dislike for the Raiders aside, their offensive line was atrocious last season, thus it will be hard to stretch the field if Russell has no time to throw the ball. Plus, unless Kiffen is an excellent (I do mean excellent) QB mentor, I dont want Aaron Brooks looking at this kid, much less mentoring him. All he could teach him is how to throw the ball backwards in two consecutive weeks without being benched immediately.

The one good thing I can say, is if they can keep Moss and fix the (literal) holes in their offensive line, then "Russell to Moss for a 60 yard TD" will be a mighty sweet thing to hear, and you will probably hear it alot.

5. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

However, even if you do have line problems, if you can protect him most of the time, he big enough and strong enough to handle himself. That is assuming they can give him SOME protection, if not he is going to get killed back there.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

the moss and porter for vick trade would be fair since the receivers are worth a bag of garbage at best. vick may be worth 2 bags of garbage.

either way, those 2 worthless receivers arent the types of dudes JR needs to start his nfl career with. both are cancers. vick may just be a bad case of herpes that cant be cured but controlled.

1 person likes this.
  7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

They are gonna have to give it a go to make Moss work out at Oakland. I can't say the same for Porter, seems like a bridge badly burned.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

True. Didn't they catch him on film cheering with opposing fans when his QB (can't remember if it was Brooks or Walters) got sacked or something similiar?

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

no doubt, porter has to go and they are likely stuck with moss.

forgot about that. yeah after brooks was sacked. they tried to trade him 2 seasons ago but he was hurt or at least said he was. then al was asking too much for him at the beginning of last season. Now he has to take whatever he can get. Unless its matt millen, I cant see anyone offering anything of value. Well, maybe the texans.

10. TheDrunkenTiger

TheDrunkenTiger Founding Member

Nah Porter is garbage. I believe hes has only one solid season and thats it. He clearly sees himself as a franchise WR though I would barely put him as a solid # 2 :)D ), though I would probably put him more along the lines of a # 3 WR.