Pigskin article on SEC Recruiting... FYI

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Feb 10, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I loved this comment.

"Based on my impressions of LSU’s defensive backs at the end of 2002, it seems that the players who are most likely to contribute immediately from Nick Saban’s monster haul of recruits are LaRon Landry, Daryl Johnson, and Nick Child. I have no idea who’s going to be a corner and who’s going to be a safety, but they can’t have watched LSU games at the end of last season and thought to themselves “how am I ever going to beat out those guys?” "

I thought was a fair statement.
    Anyway a good read.

http://www.pigskinpost.com/elkon-signing_day_wrap-up.htm

2. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Thanks for the post, TexasTigers. It was interesting reading.

As for LSU's secondary, it's easily the biggest opportunity on the team to play early.

At the same time, players like Corey Webster, Randall Gay, and Jack Hunt have proven they are team-first players who have done all they can to learn these positions, and contribute to the goal of winning games. I give them all a lot of credit. I know Gay is one of Saban's favorite players on the team.

3. AUDave

AUDave Founding Member

Louisiana Talent

I have always been under the perception that the State of Louisiana was, is and has been completely self sufficient in terms of blue chip prospects in all sports. I think some UGA fans are a little close minded and maybe have a slightly inflated opinion or belief about the overall state of Georgia athletics. This is even more so after their SECC year. Georgia does have a ton of talent that is usually enough to sustain several teams, but I am afraid that when a team and its fans start to elevate themselves over all of the other schools, then this overestimation only leads to disappointment. In my opinion, LSU has always taken the best Louisiana players and supplemented them with a few Texas and Mississippi players and have been extremely well off.

On the other hand, I am not sure where the writer is coming from with regards to Auburn and Alabama unless he is just uninformed. Alabama has always landed the most and generally the best players form the State of Alabama. So there is no change in that trend this year. As far as the skill players that left the state, he correctly answered his questions.

If the writer knew anything about the Auburn roster, then it would have been clear that the Auburn coaches were going after specific needs this year and those needs were met from out of state players this year. However, o-line is a definite need and losing Sears to UT was a disappointment.

I am not sure why the media has been so hung up on Auburn's lack of in-state signees this year. From the media's response to signing day, you would think that Auburn primarily relied on kids that come from the State of Alabama (it is probably half or a little more). Historically that has not been the case. Auburn usually recruits 4 or 5 different states each year.

I think this year was one of those years where Auburn was very selective in the positions and players that it recruited and it just happened that most of the needs were met elsewhere. Some years a college team can pursue all of the top talent in-state regardless of position, but this was not one of those years for Auburn. We have holes on the defensive side and we need linemen. Auburn's class was heavily weighted in those areas. So I am not concerned by the lack of in-state signees.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Auburn did not want the best defensive players or linemen. I am saying that most of the big blue-chippers in Alabama this year were skill positioned athletes or line backers and that Auburn went after the best players that they thought they could sign in their needed positions and that the out of state players in those positions happened to be more attractive to the Auburn coaches than the in-state kids.

Most of Alabama's class grew up dreaming of playing for the Tide and there was never a recruiting battle for those players. The media makes it out to be like Auburn had no choice. Just about every team in our league can get out of state recruits if there is a need and/or a desire by the coaching staff.

Saban sure has done a good job of fighting off rival coaches for Louisiana players. It is all about the relationships and it appears that Saban is very well thought of and respected by the Louisiana high school players and coaches.

Thanks for the link and sorry that my reply was so long.

AUDave

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Good post, AUDave.

Very well thought-out and informative.

Please stick around here.

I'm sorry that I can't stand Auburn. I'm trying to get over this irrational disdain that I have for your football team. I hate the fact that you dare call yourselves Tigers. Auburn University is completely illegitimate and should be forced out of the NCAA unless they no longer call themselves Tigers. LSU are the only real Tigers, because the team is named after military units from Louisiana that were called Tigers.

Anyway, I know that there are many, many fine people from Auburn. You are probably one of them and are welcome around here.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Excellent post AUDave. It shows that rival fans can come in here and tout their teams while respecting the Home Team. Also, you seem to be very intelligent so I'm sure you noticed that Jean LaFitte's tongue was firmly ensconsed in his cheek.:)

6. AUDave

AUDave Founding Member

"Tigers"

Jean Lafitte and SabanFan,

I caught the tone of Jean Lafitte's post and it made me chuckle. I feel the same way (not that Auburn should be out of the league). It would be nice to have 12 different mascots in the SEC but that is not the case. You have to admit though, LSU and Auburn have the coolest one. That is interesting about the soldiers from Louisiana that LSU is named after. I am not aware of the reasons why Auburn chose the name Tigers, but I think it sounds good "Auburn Tigers". I bet there are some good stories about the "Military Fighting Tigers" from Louisiana. What time period did they exist in and were there some LSU founders or educators that were members of the unit?

Jean Lafitte,

How should we settle who gets to remain the "Tigers"? Should we have a football playoff over the next 5 or 7 years, or should we include all sports in the playoff? Even better, we could have an academic bowl; your law students v. our vet students. Another idea would be to let the University Presidents submit sealed bids for the right to be called Tigers with the money designated to help Bama pay for its team payroll and legal fees. I am just kidding on the Bama part, I couldn't resist. Talk to you all later.

AUDave