Playing OK in the regular season too risky?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Mar 10, 2004.

1. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

I know I will take heat for this, but I say playing OK in the regular season is not worth the risk of the loss. I understand that it would be a great game, and that it would help the SOS. But one team will lose, and that team will probably not go to the NC game, although it would be possible if they win every other game.

My point is this, we have enough rivalries and enough games against high quality opponents by playing in the SEC, and SEC Championship game if we get there. Why take such a huge risk of ruining your season by playing a program that is a "top five"?

I think we should attempt to get better non-conference games, but not go for the elite programs. I also feel the importance of playing our non-conference games at home is another factor that should be considered.

Let me address the possible arguments against my statements.

1. We need the SOS points. I argue we have enough by playing in the SEC and the SEC Championship game. As proof I say our SOS got us in the NC game this year and we played a division 2 team.

2. You have to beat the best to be the best. I argue we beat the best by winning the SEC, the best conference in the nation.

3. It is great for fans to see such a game. I argue every LSU home game that we win is great for fans. I feel any win is better than a loss, even if the loss is by one point in overtime against the best team in the nation. Why? Because that loss could keep you out of the NC game!

4. You are wrong, and furthermore, you are a dunderhead. I argue that if FL State did not play Miami every year they would have more National Championships then the one that they have now. I don't know if I can argue against the dunderhead part.

I know alot of people will will disagree, and I look forward to hearing your side, so let's see if you can sway me. :)

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Sway you? I think you are right on. Miami played Tenn, UF and Fla St. last year, but they had a substantially weaker conf. schedule and UF and Fla St. are in-state rivals. Playing OU is not only risky, it's stupid. TCU got BCS attention last year and they ignited the 5th game discussion - TCU had one formidable opponent in USM and they got smacked. Why in God's good name would we want anything to do with Oklahoma in the regular season?

3. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

agreed...but then you have to ask....what is best for the state programs....two of the nonconference games were la monroe and tech....i know in florida that ucf sells its soul to get a uf or state or miami to play it...big game big crowd good for program....sometimes you have to give some back.....

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I would rather play the best and win some, lose some then beat these crappy teams. No matter what the ramifications.

5. GMoney2600

GMoney2600 Founding Member

i would rather play the best no matter what. That is how you earn the repsect of everyone on a national level. LSU is not known as a powerhouse like Mich., Ohio State, Oklahoma, Miami, etc.... If we start to play very good teams regularly, in time we will be in the same category year in year out.

1 person likes this.
  6. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I agree Cajdav, but if we do H&H with OU, we better get them in Baton Rouge 1st. Don't want to leave the door open for them to pull a Hokie on us.
    If we go there first, I'm against it.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

I don't remember Respect being a factor in the calculations used by the BCS computers. A loss will always hurt more than disrespect - be realistic. I would rather get a win and be a step closer to the Orange Bowl than anything else. That is the goal, right?

8. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

If you want to be the beat, you have to beat the best. Playing Oklahoma will only make LSU better win or lose. What do you learn as a team by beating up on and dominating teams like ULL, UL Monroe and Arkansas state. Do you think LSU learn anything from getting their a$$e$ handed to them by Virginia Tech? I think so. That team reel off six straight before Mauck got hurt. Your not going to win every game.

9. BB

BB Founding Member

The "Best" play in the BCS games - why not just meet them there instead of taking such a risk - risk / reward, this is a bad decision. OU will return to the Big 12 and commence kicking everyone's ass and, win or lose, we still have to play in the toughest conference in the nation. Play the best to be the best, we are the best and we do play the best. What are you people talking about? We won the NC - we are the best. We play in the SEC, why do you feel we have to prove anything more? Unbelievable...

10. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

If you play early in the year, which I'm sure we would, the loss would not matter. You have more than enough time to climb back up in the rankings. Plus, if you remember, OU lost their last game of the season, the Big 12 Championship game, and still made it to the National Championship Game.