Playing OK in the regular season too risky?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Mar 10, 2004.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

As long as margin of victory counts for nothing, I agree, let the garbage teams play the garbage games. If they put a margin of victory in place with maybe a cap of 30 points or so, I'm for it.
    With that said, Arky ST./OU, bring on the Sooners.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The only way I want an in state school is if it is Tulane or La Tech since they at least can be competitive with us some years. ULM and ULL I would not want to play again, especially ULM. I agree with the 3 levels of teams though. Just not a total cupcake, maybe a cookie!!

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Yeah. I was careful not to specify which in-state school. Some years, I think Northwestern or Nicholls can give a better game than Monroe. I enjoyed the La Tech game. Tulane wants no part of us. They don't need the money, and don't want to be slapped around for 60 minutes.

4. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Respect counted more in the days that the AP ran their popularity contest, obviously they still weild some mind control over poll watchers today, but until they are willing to objectively rank teams by the calibur of their opponets and not just by who lost first. Then we set ourselves up for disaster by playing" very high "calibur ooc teams. That said, I am in no way in favor of playing The Sisters of Perpetual Losers. And if you watched the same Sugar Bowl that I watched, I say bring on OK.

5. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Guys, other "big time" programs go looking for quality opponents and don't shy away from the competition (well, Kansas State doesn't, but does exactly one Big XII title qualify them as truly "big time"?)

One reason why the big boys schedule the occasional non-conference tough game is to use it as a recruiting tool. In addition to playing in the best conference in America, are likely to play in the biggest bowls year-in/year-out, you also get to play big name teams like Oklahoma on occasion.

That's the way it goes.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I don't care to play a top 5 ooc opponent.
    Just playing a good program like a Florida State or Miami or top 25 team of that calibur
    will due IMO.
    Just a tough enough opponent to give us a little more credibility when it comes to respectiblily and SOS

Florida played Miami and Florida State last year for example but I would only want to play 1 ooc game like that!

I don't mind playing OU every once in a while but I'd rather play different conference teams every now and then to make things interesting

7. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I for one can't wait to see LSU play OK in Baton Rouge. I would much rather play them than the cupcakes, makes for a better game.
    I also do remember some LSU fans upset that they were paying alot of money
    to watch LSU play "easy" teams, how could you not like this match up? LSU should play one OOC team like this every year....... :champs:

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Balance is what is called for here.

You can't schedule top-5 opponents every year. The SEC is hard enough to get through with an undefeated season as it is. Loading up every year with high-powered out-of-conference opponents will effectively eliminate a team from the national championship race.

On the other hand we do need to schedule top opponents from time to time to test ourselves against other conferences and for fan interest.. Every other year, perhaps, try to get a game with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Miami, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, USC, etc. But remember, that playing these guys at home means going to their place for return engagements. Low-ranked teams do not demand home-and-home arrangements. Scheduling a top opponent means more 6-game home seasons instead of 7.

Mostly we should schedule respectable, but beatable teams in the middle rankings ( Houston, Marshall, etc.) with an occasional patsy like Troy State or La. Tech.

The best opportunity to play top-ranked teams on an annual basis is to go to major bowl games every year. I'm for a four-team playoff for the NC.

9. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I disagree. I am excited LSU is starting to play the big boys. This is good for exposure, recruiting everything. LSU is the National Champion. They are an elite team. They need to play elite teams. OU is an elite team.

This game is no bigger then UGA or Tennessee, we play Vandy as well.

This is good for LSU. I am excited. Plus I can travel a few hours north of my home and watch LSU play !!!!

THis is great

10. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Sourdough

with scheduling a team like one of these 4 or 5 years in advance we won't know if they are going to be a top 5 or even a top 10. You can pretty much make book they they are going to be in the top 20 though and but could be in the top 5. Can't believe you actually said you didn't want to play a top 5 and then mentioned those 2 as teams you would like to play. There will be a good chance they are in the top 5 most seasons, at least the top 10. And I would love it.