Pokey and Tiggers meet the press

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by NoDakSt, Oct 10, 2006.

1. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

2. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I am not a fan of womens basketball. I never have been. I wasn't one of these people that hopped on the bandwagon just because they were winning. I just can't get into it. I will be interested in seeing how well they do without Seimone

3. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

I hate baseball, but I always pull for the Tigers. I hate women's basketball, but I always pull for the lady Tigers.

But that's just me...

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That little blonde transfer they picked up last year had to sit out but from what I understand is one hell of a point guard. I forget which college she was at. We bring the girls to some games....... they're fun and tickets are very cheap. Support the Tigas! :wink: :thumb:

5. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

She was from Vandy I think..shes cute...Katie Anthony maybe??? I just can't get into it. I think I'd have a better chance of enjoying softball than basketball.

6. LSUTiga

Softball is awesome. My two daughters (8 & 11) travel in the summer playing tournaments and we always make a couple of LSU softball games. Emily Turner is fun to watch pitch.

She helps with an 8 & under team from Carolton. I saw a girl in the dugout during a tournament in Gonzales and told one of the Carolton parents how that girl looked like Emily Turner. He said, "It is". I brought my team and word got out...... she was so kind with the kids. She gave autographs and took pictures for about an hour. I went apologize to her and thanked her boyfriend for being so kind. She said she enjoyed it and the kids made her feel special. I said, "You pitch for LSU, you are special"!

7. NoDakSt

NoDakSt Founding Member

LSu has two of the best pgs in Erica White and Rashonta Lablanc...those two will be handling the ball. The blonde is Katie Antony and she was one of the top prep scorers in the state. But she will play the two or wing position. White is masterful with the rock and was on one of the US teams that travelled internationally this summer.

8. LSUTiga

Good info. thanks!:thumb:

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Not to be biased, I do follow the womens' team too. Just a basketball nut.

I think Pokey has done a stellar job on recruiting, in the wake of and preparing for the departure from the all-great Augustus. I think she's just a great energetic, personable coach that's going to have LSU in the upper echelon for years to come. It is a shame that more fans don't realize what a good basketball program they have there in the Bayou, but I have hope fan support will improve year after year from here on out. That said, we may also see a spike if football stagnates... :hihi: :redface: .

The keys for this women's team?

1. Can Sylvia Fowles become a leader? She's great but she's more quiet--kind of reminds me of Lloreda or Swift in the sense that she's such a strong and effective low post player, but will she mature into a team leader? Lloreda did not, Swift sort of did. I think Fowles can.

2. Will a new scorer step up? Fowles will see double and triple teams all day and when LSU needed that 3 last year, we couldn't always get it. This year there will be several shooters that come into the mix that we never had. Antony, Chaney and Hightower are all scorers and better shooters than we've ever had. If we have a couple of players who can hit 35-40% of their threes, we'll be fine on offense.

3. Will E.White elevate her game and take the load off Fowles? It was surprising to me that she led the u20 team to the world championship over the summer--she's a great "non-threat" PG to run your team. But, has she matured into a "threat" PG? If she has, she'll take pressure off Fowles and if she can distribute to the new outside shooters, while also being a threat to take it to the hoop or pop the outsider--watch out.

We've got good depth and Pokey makes 'em play hard on d, so that end of the court should be fine if not a little better.

In any case, hoops starts this Friday. Need I say more?

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Please do not compare Fowles to Lloreda. I hope to not hear about Big Syl clocking Erica White in the jaw at practice.