Pope: How Could God 'Tolerate' Holocaust?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, May 28, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Pope: How Could God 'Tolerate' Holocaust?

By VICTOR L. SIMPSON From Associated Press
    May 28, 2006

OSWIECIM, Poland - Pope Benedict XVI visited the Auschwitz concentration camp as "a son of the German people" Sunday and asked God why he remained silent during the "unprecedented mass crimes" of the Holocaust.

Benedict walked along the row of plaques at the Auschwitz-Birkenau complex's memorial, one in the language of each nationality whose members died there. As he stopped to pray, a light rain stopped and a brilliant rainbow appeared over the camp.

"To speak in this place of horror, in this place where unprecedented mass crimes were committed against God and man, is almost impossible - and it is particularly difficult and troubling for a Christian, for a pope from Germany," he said later.

"In a place like this, words fail; in the end, there can be only a dread silence, a silence which itself is a heartfelt cry to God: Why, Lord, did you remain silent? How could you tolerate all this?"

Read the rest of the story

I don't know . . . but isn't this a remarkable thing for a Pope to say?

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Sounds similar to the words Jesus said on the cross

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

even god hates jews.

4. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

No, actually, He loves them more than any other group of people. That is why, throughout history, he has punished them so harshly. He expects a lot from them, and they continue to disappoint Him.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

that is not true. god loves everyone equally. he loves you just as much as the dity jews, dont sell yourself short.

yes, they are quite disappointing. they are so stupid. in the heat of the summer they wear those big coats. and they have that white hangy thing they wear on their waist. and the women with those stupid things on their heads.

once a friend of mine was walking in a orthodox or hassidic or whatever neighborhood in williamsburg brooklyn. a guy called out to him: "you have to do me a favor!". he asked my friend to go inside and flip a lightswitch for him because he isnt allowed to do work on the sabbath or whatever. can you believe that stupid crap? jews sure are stupid. i believe senator lieberman will not ride in a car on the sabbath. man, what a ****.

they actually make jew appliances like ovens and stuff with timers on them so they can be used on the sabbath without the jews manipulating any switches, which is considered work, and not allowed. i didnt make that up either.

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

They are God's chosen. I'm not selling myself short. I'm just happy that God loves me at all, especially after the life I lived early on. The fact that God blesses them doesn't bother me at all. He has blessed me also.

Like Paul, I would love to see the Jews accept Christ as Savor, however, the Jews are the last people that I would talk badly about. I've spent a lot of time in Israel, and have grown to love them. Our differences in beliefs is not an issue. May God continue to bless Israel and the United States, Israel's friend.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I really don't have anything useful to add to this conversation, but I just had to back you on the appliance thing. My oven has a "Sabbath mode" just as you describe. I have never used it. It is too much work to figure it out! (So I guess if I was Jewish, I would not be allowed to read the instruction manual on the Sabbath.)

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Ummm... That was not a slam on not working on the Sabbath. That was a comment on my being able to figure out how to work the Sabbath mode on my oven!

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

sigh. Religions are bad because people invent and corrupt them. The Sabbath rest was intended for people to stop their earthly work one day a week and rest, as God did, and realize that all of their earthly work/pursuits were given to them by God. It was to be a day of spending time with family and with Father, and not a day of earthly pursuits.

Unfortunately people corrupted that into making rules and regulations as to what was considered "work". Therefore you have stupid asinine things such as Sabbath ovens which go entirely against the spirit of the law.

Why did people do these types of things? Because it gave them pride and superiority over others. "I follow the law more closely than you, therefore I am more forgiven/rewarded/etc". That is the basis of all man made religion.

I create these laws, and I follow them more closely than you, so God likes me more.

:dis:

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Its not really remarkable at all. Benny was not teaching that God allowed the Holocaust to happen. He was just wandering why it happened. Haven't we all, at one time or another, questioned something and said why God? That is all he was doing.