Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Powerball at $500 million tonight

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by mobius481, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Senior Member

That is why you buy 1 and only 1. Buying more never improves the odds enough to really change your chance of winning. However if you don't buy 1 you can't win and a winning number is drawn twice a week.
    gynojunkie likes this.
  2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Buying more than one is really cheap entertainment and offers more hope despite how little. Hard to buy that amount of happy delusions for less.
    gynojunkie and Winston1 like this.
  3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

It's now up to $550 Million.
  4. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

hmm...so with I 100 tickets I'm looking at 0.00000570 %. I like my odds.

17,000,000 tickets would give me about a 1% chance...I wounder if I can get that many in my pool before 9?
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

So what's this multiplier. Do I win double 550 and we must sell puerto Rico if so.
  6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

So if what you say is true, it would cost $34,000,000 to achieve a 1% chance of winning this lottery.

Whoa.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon

The whole idea of a lottery is that you pay almost nothing for a long-shot at something huge. And someone wins it . . . always. Why not me?

I don't have a problem in the world that half a billion dollars wouldn't cure.
    gynojunkie likes this.
  8. Winston1

Winston1 Senior Member

Great minds think a like Red. $500mil or $160mil after taxes would pretty much take care of any problem I can think of except how to spend the last $ with my dying breath ;)
  9. martin

martin Banned Forever

there is some point at which the amount is so large that buying a ticket isnt a poor economic decision, meaning the return on investment is worth the odds. i think it is up there around 400 million when people havent won for weeks and weeks and weeks.

its definitely worth a dollar to imagine it. my local bartender always buy a hundred with customer money and he always includes me in the pool without my asking, because i am a good guy. so i might split that cash with 100 members of the drunk working class in queens.
  10. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

Correct, if my math is right, though you have to remember I am a lawyer not an accountant.