Preseason Collegiate Baseball Poll: LSU #2, Florida #9

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

#2 LSU

#9 Florida (LSU plays them in Gainesville, Apr 30-May 2) -- finished #12/#13/#14/#14 last season in the other polls

#21 Southern Miss (LSU plays them in the Wally Pontiff, Jr. Classic in Zephyr Field, Apr 7) -- finished #8/#8/#11/#11 last season in the other polls

#22 Ole Miss (LSU plays them in Oxford, Apr 23-25) -- finished #11/#12/#12/#13 last season in the other polls

#23 Arkansas (LSU plays them in Baton Rouge, Mar 19-21) -- finished #5/#6/#7/#7 last season in the other polls

#31 Georgia (LSU plays them in Baton Rouge, Apr 2-4) -- finished #24/#26 last season in the other polls

#32 Vanderbilt (LSU plays them in Baton Rouge, May 7-9) -- finished #25/#29 last season in the other polls

#34 Pepperdine (LSU plays them in Baton Rouge, Mar 4 & 6)

#36 Kansas (LSU plays them in Baton Rouge, Mar 12-14)

Other teams LSU plays that received Votes:
    Alabama (finished #30 last season in the one of the other polls)
    Mississippi St
    @Auburn
    @Tennessee
    @Kentucky
    Tulane (play them once at LSU and once at Tulane)
    Southeastern Louisiana

NCAA DIV I POLL - Current - Collegiate Baseball Newspaper

2. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

I wish we could bring back the Winn-Dixie classic and play three teams from another state. (I think Tulane screwed that up due to money or tickets. I'm probably wrong but it seems like they were to blame. If not, I enjoy blaming them anyway. :grin:)

It would also be nice to have a few games with an ACC team. They have some good programs (FSU, UNC, Clemson, Miami, and now Virginia) and although we already have a tough schedule, it would be great to see even more quality competition.

I can't wait to go to Oxford wearing my 6X National Champs shirt. They hate us so bad (envy) and I just enjoy listening to them. I'm sure they'll only want to talk about football this year. :lol:

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I missed Southern Miss (just added it), that's a decent out-of-state opponent. And it's cool that we are playing Kansas (2006 Big 12 tournament champion, NCAA tourney appearances in 1993, 1994, 2006, 2009) and Pepperdine (1992 National Champions, 17 WCC Titles, 25 NCAA tourney appearances).

We are also gracing Natchitoches, La. with our presence to play the NSU Demons (whose baseball program won nine of the past 17 Southland Conference championships). Their top three baseball attendance records were all when LSU came to town:
    1. 4,214 people on 4-18-01 (NSU beat LSU, 10-8)
    2. 2,329 people on 4-9-03 (NSU lost to LSU, 6-4)
    3. 1,835 people on 4-9-91 (NSU lost to LSU, 7-3)

LSU visit highlights 2010 [NSU] baseball schedule
    LSU visit highlights 2010 baseball schedule - NSUDemons.com - Northwestern State Athletics

[​IMG]
    Natchitoches, La.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Wow, feeling like great baseball weather today here in Lafayette, sunny and 63 with a "realfeel" of 68 per Accuweather.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

just thought the same thing, myself. :grin:

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

2010 Preview:

The Paul Mainieri era at LSU is in fantastic shape. The Tigers have made back-to-back CWS appearances and hope to earn a second-straight national title this spring. Accomplishing that goal is always difficult for any team, but the Tigers have a strong nucleus of players back this season. Anthony Ranaudo and Matty Ott spearhead a pitching staff that is strong despite some question marks. Austin Ross also is expected to rise to the occasion. Offensively, the Tigers lost some key cogs in Ryan Schimpf, Jared Mitchell and D.J. LeMahieu. The lineup, though, still is in good hands with the return of senior slugger Blake Dean and a host of other talented hitters. The Tigers still need to nail down a No. 3 starting pitcher for the weekend rotation, but otherwise they are in great shape.

2010 season could have new bag of surprises - College Baseball - Rivals.com

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Collegiate Baseball also ranked LSU's last crop of recruits (the freshmen this upcoming season) as the #3 recruiting class in the nation. Florida was #1, Kentucky was #6, Vanderbilt was #8.

8. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

sooo...

1B - Blake Dean
    2B - Tyler Hanover
    SS - Austin Nola
    3B - Wet Dellate
    LF - Trey Watkins
    CF - Leon Landry
    RF - Mikie Mahtook
    C - Micah GIbbs
    DH - ???

Pitching:
    1st Starter - Anthony Ranaudo
    2nd Starter - Joey Bourgeois
    3rd Starter - Austin Ross
    Closer - Matty Ott
    MWS - ???

of course bradshaw could challenge Ross for sunday starter, and i think Matulis will have a big year. plus some true frosh that are supposed to be stellar.....

Omaha? i think so!!!

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Who are your favorites, JayB? I love Hanover, Nola, Mahtook, Landry, Dean, and of course Ranaudo and Ott. As for the new guys like Dellate, Watkins, Bourgeois, and the other new guys... I've never heard of them although I plan to read up on them. Can you tell us a little bit about what you know about them?

As for the line-up, here is an article I read after fall practice ended where Mainieri named who he has as the starters heading into Feb 1 (when the team starts practice again).

TigerBait.com - Filling holes

He named:

1B - Blake Dean ("Blake Dean's return was enormous...My biggest question going into fall was where Blake Dean going to play," Mainieri said. "He'll be our first baseman. Blake didn't throw during the fall due to his shoulder surgery."Blake is better at first base than as an outfielder. He appears to be a natural at first base. He doesn't run too well for the outfield.")

2B - Tyler Hanover

SS - Austin Nola

3B - Wet Dellate ("Delatte showed a lot of improvement as the fall went on," Mainieri said. "I thought third base was going to be a weak spot for us. He led the team in hitting in the fall. Wet has the ability to play there. He's a gamer.")

OF - Junior college transfer Trey Watkins caught Mainieri's eye during fall practice. Watkins, who left LSU-Eunice after one season, has apparently wrapped up an outfield position."Watkins didn't realize that he wasn't competing against (Johnny) Dishon, but he was competing against (Kyle) Koeneman," Mainieri said. "Watkins played better than Koeneman. So, he'll start in the outfield and Blake will play first base." ... Leon Landry and Mikie Mahtook will join Watkins in the outfield. Mainieri is undecided which player will be in centerfield. ... Dishon, who was redshirted last season, will be the fourth outfielder. Mainieri predicted that Dishon will play in about 40 games.

C - Micah Gibbs (Grant Dozar, who started fall practice at third base, will be the backup catcher)

DH - Matt Gaudet, who failed to make the team in 2009, is slated to be the designated hitter next spring. ... Mainieri anticipates having Chad Jones (now gone) as...a possible designated hitter.

Pitching:

1st Starter - Anthony Ranaudo

2nd Starter - The top candidates for the No. 2 spot are Daniel Bradshaw and LSU-Eunice transfer Joey Bourgeois. "Bradshaw was really good in the fall," Mainieri said. "Bourgeois has a chance to be really good. He probably is the hardest thrower behind Ranaudo. Bourgeois has a little moxie." Mainieri will start the season with Bradshaw and Bourgeois competing for the No. 2 starting role. If neither shows he can handle the job, Mainieri could move Ott to the starting rotation. "I'd like to leave Matty where he is," Mainieri said. "But, I can always make that switch later on. I believe Matty can be a good starting pitcher. I also think that Bourgeois could be a closer.")

3rd Starter - Austin Ross

Closer - Matty Ott (unless we can't get a solid #2 pitcher, in which case it looks like Bourgeois would be the closer)

DEPTH ISSUES:

Position Players

Mainieri did acknowledge that fall practice showed that there is one weakness. The depth for everyday players will not be as solid as last season. ... "Our starting nine will be very solid...What worries me is what's after the first nine. We are very thin in the infield." ... Junior college transfer Michael Lowery was projected to be the utility infielder. However, he will miss the 2010 season due to a back injury. Hanover will be the shortstop if Nola misses playing time. Dozar could be a substitute for Hanover at second base. Mainieri is hoping that Beau Didier can develop into a backup infielder, particularly on the left side.

Pitchers

"We have better quality pitching depth," Mainieri said. "What we don't have is a Louis Coleman who can go seven innings. We may ask our starters other than Anthony to just go five innings this year. Then, we can use our bullpen. We've got guys." "We don't have two aces like last year. But, I am really confident in our pitching depth. It may be a little different this year. After Ranaudo, I may have a quick hook and use our depth." ... One returning pitcher who impressed Mainieri during fall practice was Ben Alsup. Two freshmen - Jordan Rittiner and Michael Reed - also were effective in the intrasquad games. "Alsup threw the ball extremely well," Mainieri said. "Maybe he can make a big jump. He's not a physically imposing guy, so his velocity fluctuates. "Rittiner threw as well as anybody in the fall. He knows how to pitch. He could be a midweek starter. Reed will get some innings. He has some potential. He reminds me of Austin Ross as a freshman." Paul Bertuccini will be a set-up person in the bullpen. Mainieri anticipates having Chad Jones (now gone) as a reliever...Chris Matulis and junior college transfer Mitch Mormann need to show more improvement in preseason practice.

10. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

yeah CPM projected what i pretty much figured to be the starting lineup based on practice reports and the series in the fall and all... those two new guys (watkins and bourgeois) are JUCO transfers from LSU-Eunice (which is a GREAT JUCO program in LA.) i remember joey bourgeois' name out of lutcher high, and had wondered what happened to him. matt gaudet was a JUCO transfer the year before last, and sat out this past year, but is back with the team. i guess his bat is hot if CPM is considering him for DH. i'm not up to bat with the newcomers on the pitching staff (haven't been following many prep reports since i have been sick,) but all indications is that we will probably see solid contribution from some true frosh. this pitching staff won't be as loaded-at-the-top like last season with ranaudo, coleman and ott, but rather will be fairly consistent through-out. ranaudo will (i think) have the finest year for any LSU pitcher since ben mcdonald -- and that includes kurt ainsworth, lane mestepey and louis coleman -- it will be special. i don't mean special in just by judging his numbers and stats, but he will have that extra "something" that takes opponents by storm. he won't be sneaking up on any batters, they will know what to expect, and still won't be able to hit him, further frustrating the batter. it will be a solid year for LSU pitching. i think we will see a LOT of small ball, and that might concern some fans in the beginning of the season when LSU loses close games, or doesn't blow out "gimmes" by five runs, but by the end of the year, you will see LSU win games that no other LSU team has ever won. small ball.

my only worry is what LSU will do in games where pitching isn't on. but, i think they still have good enough hitters to be able to get into a slugfest and win. i think this season could be better than last season. but will it? that's what makes this upcoming baseball season that much more special.
    :tigbas::tigbas::tigbas::tigbas:

oh, my favorite players? well i have really been rooting hard for sophomore, back-up catcher Grant Dozar. i graduated with his older sister, went to the same high school and played with him in the neighborhood as a kid (he was a great deal younger than me, but held his own with the older guys.) morgan city high school has always had an awesome baseball program, but no one really ever gave college ball a serious shot. morgan city is still full of a lot of oil-field workers and blue-collar guys and most kids that are great in baseball never really get a fair shot at the game (which makes it all the more special to me.) but grant was always a good guy. other than him, probably anthony ranaudo and mikie mahtook. i like tyler hanover a lot too. i think the kid has grit, and he's a small guy, but he's a really good player. kinda reminds me of fontenot a bit.