Preseason Rankings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by burnt norton, May 16, 2006.

1. burnt norton

burnt norton Founding Member

I know these polls don't mean anything, but I just saw LSU's ranking on Athlon's website and it got me thinking. Here is the breakdown so far on LSU's ranking in preseason polls (I've probably left off a few).

Dodd (cbs.sportsline.com) - LSU ranked #4
    Mandel (cnnsi.com) - LSU ranked #5
    Rivals - LSU ranked #4
    Sporting news - LSU ranked #4
    CFN (collegefootballnews.com) - LSU ranked #4

I've also heard some ESPN guys have LSU in their top 5. Colin Cowherd even had LSU ranked #1 in his preseason top 10.

Now we get to Athlon - LSU ranked #11??? They are either brilliant or way off base. Again, I know it doesn't mean anything, but do we normally see this kind of disparity with Athlon? The pundits always say Phil Steele has the best football annual. Anybody know if that's true?

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

If you want stats, trends, and roster information, Phil Steele's publications are a good source. As far as college predictions, I'd look elsewhere. :thumb:

Best to review info from several sources ......JMO

3. Rece@2022

Rece@2022 Founding Member

as long as they don't give the kiss of death and put the tigers on the cover of a national publication....

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Not to get preachy, but this is how I see it:

"... go and recline at the last place, so that when the one who has invited you comes, he may say to you, 'Friend, move up higher'; then you will have honor in the sight of all who are at the table with you."

Bingo. It's better to be last and climb to first than to be overrated and fall, enduring shame and humility. With LSU ranked #4 or #5 in most polls, they had better do well. If not, they will carry that horrid 'under-achieving ' title no one wants.

5. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

thats about where we have started and ended for the last two years. capital one year we were what 6/7 final and top 5 pre. this year top 5 to 4.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Preseason rankings, although created from thin air, do have meaning. If you are ranked #4 preseason and run the table, you have a much better chance at playing for the MNC then if you started out the season ranked #12. Its the whole BCS formula thing that has been cussed and discussed ad nauseum on this here forum.

7. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Well, this morning Athlon plugged in Auburn at # 9... picks them to win the west.
    So I guess that means Bama won't get a top 25 ranking at all... and Florida has yet to be ranked... that Urban Myth stuff lives on!!

http://www.athlonsports.com/

8. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Exactly! These polls mean absolutely nothing until you have a hell of a season and were you started actually affects were you finish.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Preseason rankings DO matter. Period.

10. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

preseason rankings mattered for oregon this year, starting in the 20s-30s i believe and not making the fiesta bowl instead of notre dame and ohio state. it also, as mentioned above, matters for NC hopes.