question/answer thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by martin, Aug 20, 2012.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

wikipedia is a goddamn delight, but it cant give you the specific answers about particular experience that you sometimes need. you have to go to other humans for that. thats what this thread is for. i ask you something, drawing on your collective wisdom to help me out. and i do the same for you. i ask you how to make a roux, you ask me if you should take the 4 train to yankee stadium. yunno everyone wins. our collective wisdom is shared.

all threads like this are an excuse for the OP to start with his own thing, so i will, i have a question.

lets say i had 500 dollars in my pcket and wanted to buy a small handgun. i dont intend to shoot intruders or anything, but i like to go to the range or the sticks once in a while to mess around. i dont need stopping power, or any real quality at all. i think i can get by without a license if i buy at a gun show or something? do i need permits and shit? how much should i pay? should i go to a pawn shop? if i buy my gun when i visit my parents in baton rouge, how can i get it back to new york, checked baggage? is that allowed? is 500 enough for a competent gun? keep in mind i dont know anything about guns or care if it is good, i just think it would be fun to own a pistol.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

That sorta throws your whole minimalist thing out the window. That said, if you don't want the background check, by a used gun from an individual. Since you don't need stopping power, get a 22. It will be the cheapest to shoot. I have a S&W K frame Model 18 6 shot revolver that is great for target shooting. I don't know if you need a permit to own it in NYC. That communist place, you might need to register it. You can send a gun in checked baggage. You have to let the airline know that it is there. I bought mine for around $500, but that was 30 years ago. I would imagine they are a bit more now.

There are certainly cheaper guns available. The one I mentioned has good weight and feel and has never given me a single problem since I bought it in 1982. I would suggest staying w/ a revolver. Less stuff to give you trouble.

[​IMG]

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

revolvers seem clunky and uncool.

i dont think it is legal to own a handgun of any kind in new york without lots and lots of paperwork. hell, even bb guns are illegal in the city (seriously).

why is a revolver less troublesome? seems troublesome with a big clunky spinning part.

i read that zimmerman killed trayvon with a keltec 9 mm. maybe i should get one o those they are really cheap.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

martin, I'd recommend a virtual gun for you. There is probably one for your game device. Seriously, you have no business with a real gun. You have neither the temperament nor the need for one. They are heavy and dangerous and you can't load it onto your iPad.

If you are determined to buy a handgun, don't get a cheapo. $500 is fine for you, you don't need a top-line piece either. You can get one from a gun show, but be aware that is where people get rid of guns that have problems because they will never see you again. If you don't know how to inspect a gun for wear or for other issues, then best buy from a dependable dealer who will be there if he sells you a lemon. Sometimes pawn shops are good gun deals, but you can't trust the pawn dealers. Take a friend who knows guns.

It will do you no good if you never shoot it to gain some confidence and expertise in its operation. I can go shoot cans and bottles here all alone in the woods. You will have to pay high prices for a New York shooting range and rub elbow with the gun crowd, many of whom are absolute nut jobs.

Opinions differ on revolvers versus automatic pistols. Revolvers almost never jam, while automatics sometimes do. If you know nothing about guns and will never be an amateur gunsmith, get a revolver. A child can operate it and it almost always works when you need it. If you care for one and keep it clean and shoot it enough to know it's idiosyncrasies, a pistol is smaller, thinner, lighter, reloads faster, and (if you get a good one) almost never jams.

I have a small-frame .22 revolver for thrifty target shooting. I have a big-frame .357 revolver for wasteful target shooting and killing varmints. I have a .380 automatic pistol to actually carry if I suspect a need to defend myself. If the gun is too big, you will never have it when you need it.

James Bond and myself use a Walther PPK. It was developed as a pocket pistol for the SS and is still made and all the major bugs were worked out of it decades ago. There are smaller pistols with insufficient power and more powerful pistols that are too big to carry. This is a good compromise for me.

[​IMG]

Check New York gun laws by registration requirements. Get a carry permit from some state to give you a bit of legitimacy with the law if they catch you with one.

Jmg likes this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fewer moving parts that are easier to see and keep clear. Fewer tight tolerances, fewer springs, and hidden sliding surfaces that get dirty. For a revolver to jam, something usually must be broken. A pistol can jam if it is too dirty, has a bent part, or even if it is held so poorlythat its recoil doesn't chamber a new round properly.

martin likes this.
  6. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Wasn't part of Plaxico Burress' harsh sentence due to the fact that he didn't have a 'carry' permit? I realize the weapon discharged in a public place when he shot himself, but I don't think he would have went to jail had he had a permit. From what I know, NY doesn't play with it's gun laws. You can and probably will do time if caught with one illegally.

Now for my question - I recently had the starter replaced on my work car (2003 Honda Accord), but when I got it back from the shop, the blinkers aren't working. They were working fine when I dropped it off. I checked the fuse and it's still good. I realize the easiest thing to do is to bring it back and let them fix it, but I hate to leave it there for a day or so, if I can do it myself in a relatively short amount of time. Does anyone know what else I can check, besides the fuse, to reconnect my blinkers?

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

nobody will catch me with a gun, i know what i am doing.

also red you are wrong i am quite responsible with dangerous things. i had a motorcycle for years and always wore a helmet and maintained it beautifully and was incredibly responsible.

i like the walther, it is very james bond and looks pretty cool. i am gonna add it to my research list for guns to purchase. i do not mind if a non-revolver requires more maintenance. i enjoy maintenance.

8. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Don't ask me. My truck is in the shop to work on its air conditioner. This is the sixth visit and 2nd compressor in 2 months. I'm not exactly a satisfied customer at this point.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Get a bro to punch you in the nose

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

You should elect coverage under COBRA for the month of July. That way you are covered, otherwise you are likely paying out of pocket.