Question for Beaver Lurkers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

What info can you give us about your QB Anderson. Apparently he supposed to be pretty good. I would like the point of view from OSU fans.

2. trubeav

trubeav Freshman

I'll bite

Second quarterback to throw for more than 4000 yards in a season in Pac 10 history, with Cody Pickett being the first (These were both years where the whole country played one extra game in the year, so it doesn't say as much as what it sounds like). But still, he throws for a ton of yards. He actually was offered a full ride to Florida State (imagine Chris Rix and Derek Anderson on the same team?!?!?) and was ranked as a top 5 QB coming out of High School. It was the year after we won the fiesta Bowl, and we had Dennis Erickson coaching, so he stayed close to home (he's an Oregon Native).

First year starting, we go 8-5 and lose to Pitt and Larry Fitzgerald in the bowl game. He started off strong, throwing for 1500 yards in four games against inferior competition . . . then we go to USC in the Coliseum, and he is on his back the whole game and threw for a mere 80 yards and we got shut out. The rest of the year, he never really was a world beater that year but always had a gun. Then we had a coaching change . . . Erickson went to the 49ers and Riley came in with a new system. He threw for his ton of yards, but had a good deal of picks, which makes it hard for any Beaver to guaranty any victory on the road.

But about those picks . . . some are his fault, or the result of not setting his feet while getting flushed around the pocket. But there were an awful lot that could be attributed to his recievers and linemen, either running the wrong routes or him not having enough time to throw (against USC he must have been hit for 30 or 40 times in the game).

What is making Beavers optimistic is all his upside. His career is very similar to Carson Palmers high level expectations matched with coaching turnover and pressure of being the number one QB without competition. All accounts from fall camp is that he is solid in his understanding of Riley's offense, and now we just need guys to run under the ball. He didn't even play in our second scrimmage because he has been doing so well. Plus, it seems like we have a half dozen receivers, most of them Freshmen and Sophomores that are coming on strong to complement Hass.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Chris Rix sucks....so that aint much to imagine.

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

thanks trubeav. its easy to read articles about the opposing team players, but i like getting a fan's point of view.

5. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

:rofl:

I was going to post the exact same reply before I even saw this.