Questioning the Irish...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tiger_will, Nov 17, 2005.

1. tiger_will

tiger_will Founding Member

2. tiger_will

tiger_will Founding Member

Notre Dame lost to Michigan State (5-5, 2-5 in the Big Ten). How on earth can the Irish be ranked as high as they are, and why doesn't anyone ever bring that up? It's like people forgot that game.
    --Kyle, Houston

You know what's interesting? Despite Miami moving up to No. 3 in the BCS standings this week -- a development that has far more potential ramifications than whether Notre Dame is sixth or ninth -- I haven't heard a single person say, "Hey, have you people forgotten that the 'Canes lost to a Florida State team that got blown out by Clemson?" I'd imagine that's because most people generally accept the notion that Miami has gotten significantly better since that game, while the 'Noles have regressed. That's pretty much how a season works -- some teams evolve from the first game to the last game, others devolve.

Same could be said of Tennesse!!!

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Hey Stew, What team, other than Notre Dame, would have jumped ten spots for beating anybody.

The answer is zero. Funny how he kind of slipped that in to justify his defense of their ranking.

It's like Steve Martin's "How to have a million dollars and not pay taxes!" First, get a million dollars...

4. Lsuphotoguy

Lsuphotoguy Founding Member

It was nice when Notre Dame was out of the lime light for a while. But ever since Charlie Weis came with his Super Bowl rings that has really got the media buzzin. Not to mention they almost beat USC until the last play of the game! We are goin to have to get used to it because Ole Charlie is not goin anywhere for quite some time!

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

you're probably right, but it is easy to jump 10 spots when you're No. 20. Bama, for example jumped 8 spots after beating UF. the differences are that Bama was ranked No. 15 going in and UF was only No.5.

perhaps a better question is why didnt south fla jump more after killing No.9 Louisiville. after that win they only got 7 votes. sadly i think all this stuff comes down to reputation and momentum

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

What he said!

I wonder how LSU would have done with Weis at the helm this year and LSU having talent "head and shoulders" above ND.

A USC vs ND NC game is very likely in the next few years ... as sick as it makes me to think about that.

7. MemphisLSUTiger

MemphisLSUTiger Founding Member

With Weis, we would probably be 8-1 with a tough early season loss (due largely to disrupted practice schedules as a result of the hurricanes), in control of the west, likely going to a BCS bowl, and having outside shot at the national title. In short, we would be in the exact same spot that Miles has us at.

8. Lsuphotoguy

Lsuphotoguy Founding Member

I agree totally! I imagine we would have more media coverage if Charlie Weis was LSU's coach instead of Miles! Maybe we jump a Miami like this year. But! Miles is a good fit for LSU and I admire him for the way he has handled this year!:thumb:

9. ramah

ramah Founding Member

I admire him too ... especially the way he choked and gave Fulmer a big "W" after LSU was ahead 21-0 at half. No Problem though, USC & Texas will both lose and LSU will get a NC shot anyway, right! I especially admire Miles for his radio show performance after the Tennessee game where he deflected all blame on coaching ... :lol:

I admire his continued inability to get a vertical passing game going (to open up his rushing attack) when he has the best WR corps in America and a QB passing at a 62% comp rate ... yeah, I admire those close "toss up" games and wins when LSU "SHOULD BE STOMPING MUDHOLES IN THE OPPOSITION"

10. tigerworld

tigerworld Founding Member

What would ole Nickey have done with this team let me guess 9-0 and cruising to an undefeated season. This would have been a reflection of his previous years here. Since he only had one 1 loss season. What if Miles gets lucky and gets into the title game. Will he be the best coach LSU ever had? Something to think about because Saban only had one season like this. And if you think Weis could have came in here and had a better season then you are saying he is better than your savior Nick Saban :geauxtige