Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 10, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So, I've tried and failed miserably at giving up cigarettes. I bought an e-cig last Sunday and haven't had a real cig since. Really hoping this works.

Anyone have luck or try this?
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

I smoked in my mid 20's, quit, then started again when I met my future wife who smoked. Took 3 more tries to finally quit. I was walking my dog in May of 1998, lit one, took one drag and right then and there decided f this, I'm not letting them control me anymore. I haven't had one since. I just made up my mind that it was gonna suck for a couple weeks and then it would be just a mind game. I've been tempted a couple of times since, but never caved.

Good luck LaSalle. Put your mind to it, you can do it.
  3. TigersTailgating

TigersTailgating Waterford Lesticles

I just stopped cold turkey back in jan.06... haven't had the desire to go back to it.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Have you tried vaping? Thats smoking pot or hash oil with an electronic cigarette
  5. TigersTailgating

TigersTailgating Waterford Lesticles

I did the vape thing a couple of times, but good quality green is hard to find around here for a good price, so its just bong whenever I feel up to it.
  6. plotalot

plotalot Senior Member

Good news, you're not alone. I personally quit dozens of times, with varying degrees of success over a time period starting in the mid 70's. I finally gave up smoking tobacco for good last February. Also, look at your past failures, as training for this attempt. Recall your past to strengthen the positives and avoid your personal pitfalls.
    If I was around another smoker, I would almost always bum a smoke. Don't let my lack of success with them deter you. If it's working for you so far, more power to you.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon

My Dad smoked for 65 years and then one day quit cold turkey and never smoked for his last 10 years. Of course, my Dad ranked about 9.95 on the willpower scale. Most of us 5's can't even quit drinking coffee.

But if you can tough out the withdrawal period, stopping cold is the way to go, many say.
    KyleK likes this.
  8. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Veteran Member

I think they are just coming out with e-cigs that are nicotine free as well. If I did go the e-cig route I would probably want to try them.

Salle, you heard of these? Have any recommendations?
  9. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali The Bionic Burro

I had an uncle who was a walking chimney. Smoked 2-3 packs a day. Before there were any products available to assist with smoking sensation, he had his jar. For months he had a mason jar filled with ashtray debris and a little water. When he had the urge, he would open the jar and take a whiff and that would almost always help. I seen one time, after a battle with his wife where a whiff wasn't enough and he stuck his finger in and scooped up a load of wet ash and he ate it. He then commenced to barfing all his innards till his toe nails came up. THAT did the trick. He stopped and lived up until just two years ago, somewhere in his mid 80's.

Can you imagine the smell of old wet ashtray scented puke? Dude...
  10. uscvball

uscvball Veteran Member

Wow. I had a relative, of sorts, who did the same thing but used pickle juice instead of water. He quit after having smoked for over 20 years but he did pass away from lung cancer about 8 years ago.