Random thoughts of the day

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Sourdoughman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What could be more American on the 4th of July than stuffing your face with 62 hot dogs? Or watching somebody else do it?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Agoraphobic Janet Faal left her Crawley, UK home for only the third time in 10 years on April 15, 2015 only to fall into an open manhole

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

red55 likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The world's hottest pepper is the Carolina Reaper. It is grown in South Carolina by the PuckerButt Pepper Company.

This spiciness level is measured in Scoville Heat Units, or SHU. A pimento pepper has an SHU of 100-500; a jalapeño, 2,500-8,000 SHU. On the higher end of the heat spectrum, red habaneros have 350,000-577,000 SHU. The notoriously hot ghost pepper has a staggering SHU of about 1 million.

But 2 million SHU — that’s just crazy talk, right? Enter, the Carolina Reaper.

The Reaper, which has held the record for the world’s hottest pepper since 2013, is grown by Ed Currie of PuckerButt Pepper Co. in South Carolina — and in case it wasn’t clear, it’s insanely spicy.

On the Scoville heat scale, the pepper has an average spiciness of 1.5 million SHU, and peaks at over 2.2 million SHU. By comparison, standard grade U.S. pepper spray has an SHU between 2 and 5 million.

The PuckerButt website describes what one might come to expect when eating the Reaper: “an instant level of heat never before achieved continuing with an increasing tidal wave of scorching fire that grips you from head to toe. Eyes glaze. Brows perspire. Arms flail. CAUTION! CAUTION! CAUTION!” Sounds… pleasant.

“I feel like I’m about to get physically hurt,” one taster says before taking the plunge. She wasn’t far off.

The reactions to the pepper range from the poetic, “It feels like hornets are stinging my mouth,” to the classic, “Could I die?”

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

is that a ghost pepper? because adam savage told me that was the hottest pepper on his show long ago. when he ate them. and he was fat.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In the story it says that ghost peppers are 1 million Scoville Heat Units while the Carolina Reaper is from 1 1/2 million to over 2 million. No way I'm going to eat one. The hottest thing I ever tasted was something called Ortego Sauce. A friend gave me a bottle. He was trying to sell them in his furniture store of all places. It was made in Ville Platt and had a picture of an old man with a long white beard. I had the bottle for quite a few years and it was still nearly full. One time I almost ruined 5 gallons of gumbo by adding just a few drops.

7. tirk

yeah that comes with the taco kit. its not hot at all.

[​IMG]

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not the same thing. That's spelled Ortega. Mine was spelled Ortego. Must be out of business. Google didn't find it.

9. tirk

i almost typed, just a joke there bb.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Oh. Ha Ha Ha