RB Recruiting

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Bandit88, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Lots of folks (including me) are focused on Lache Seastrunk, and some folks will even consider this year's class a bit of a bust if he doesn't sign with LSU.

Two years ago, no RBs. Last year, LSU pulled one RB - Mike Ford, although Calhoun is considered sort of a halfback, I guess? We'll see where he ends up. R. Shepard is basically a hybrid back as well.

This year, the word is that LSU wants 4 RBs in the class. Ware, Blue, and Gore are already committed.

Next year, Hill and Hilliard are already committed.

So, regardless of whether Seastrunk commits or not, it appears to me that the Tigers are done at RB until 2012. Thoughts?

Also, I can't wait to see Hill and Hilliard in their senior seasons. Because, frankly, I haven't seen much film that shows them living up to some of the hype I'm hearing from the Tiger faithful. And of the two, I thought Hill looked better, even though Hilliard is ranked higher on Scout...

Honestly, of those not signed, I think Ware and Gore look very promising.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

We are not done at RB until 2012.

LSU will likely land Terrance Magee who was just offered for 2011 and he is going to be a good one.

Were you really not impressed with Hilliard?:huh: His sophomore year video is very nice and he looked even better this year. Look for him to break the all time LA rushing record this year and he with 66 touchdowns already I assume he will be ranked very high in All time TDs.

We look very nice at the RB position for the next few years.

3. Bandit88

I may not have seen the best video. And I've mostly watched his video from this year. I'm sure he's awesome, which is why I can't wait for next year. Looking forward to following him more closely.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Yea thats a little strange that your not impressed with Hillard. The guy is as advertised from what I have seen and heard from family in Louisiana.

5. Bandit88

I'll keep watching video. I just haven't seen the "wow" video that I've seen with other backs. Some of that has to do with the sources and the school's ability to tailor the video.

I'm not saying he's not great. I'm just not seeing it myself yet.

And in the big scheme of things, that should mean absolutely nothing to anyone. :grin:

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

lol, I just want you to be just as excited about his future at LSU as I am.

7. Dmarzio

Dmarzio Founding Member

Bandit I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't see that "wow" factor either, but I know nothing about evaluating players skill, so if the video doesn't look like Shepard's than I guess it never wows me anyway. That's why LSU pays people lots of money to do that evaluate these guys, so I stand by their decisions. I guess from all the hype Hillard has been getting he does have that "it" factor, but he looks average to me. That doesn't mean I'm any less excited that he is a tiger! :geauxtige

8. tigerfan1974

tigerfan1974 Veteran Member

IMO, he doesn't wow some because he doesn't make 3 people miss, then show the 4.3 speed. However, to me Hilliard looks head and shoulders better than Scott did in HS. On the other hand, the games I saw Scott, he was getting hit in the backfield alot. All I've seen of Hilliard is highlight film.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The thing about Hilliard's highlight film is that it looks just like every real game he is in. They had him the ball 40+ times a game and he just dominates.

I guess some just want to see the little backs making jukes, etc... But you will not get that with him and that is what I love. You won't see those guys like McKnight etc... playing in college like they did in HS because it is just clips of their exciting plays.

With Hilliard you know what you are getting. He will rarely lose yardage, he will pound it off the middle and players will bounce off of him not the other way around, he has great hips for a guy his size to cut it to the outside without losing much power and speed, he can catch, and he is always moving forward. Also has a nice stiff arm and does not fumble much.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

OK, I assume you've all seen this video:

YouTube - Kenny Hilliard 2008 - Sophomore Football Highlight Video - Patterson High School

On that tape, you will not see him get caught from behind.
    You will not see him tackled by one person, unless he's already off balance or scored, or dragged the tackler for five yards.
    You will not see the first tackler bring him down. (don't forget; you're watching a sophmore on that tape)

He's nimble enough to avoid linemen, strong enough to run over linebackers, and fast enough to run away from defensive backs. And he does all of this drawing more attention from the other team than Reggie Bush. Trust me; I've seen about half of his career in person.

He's also a good receiver downfield, a 3.1 student and as humble and personable as you could hope for.

In short, Kenny Hilliard is Cecil Collins without the baggage.