Reading on another board....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by scrappy, Jun 6, 2005.

1. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Someone commented on how great it would be if the 3 Big Sports at LSU would play well in the same season. My question is what constitutes well? The basketball team won 20 games and got to the NCAA tourney. They got in without any doubts. The Football team won 9 games and lost on a fluke play and coulda been a 10 win team in a new years day bowl. Baseball wins 40 plus. LSU had winning teams to cheer for all year. I understand the let down in baseball and thats understandable. But, it shouldnt take away from the fact that the team was competitive and gave you good ball to watch. If you ask me, LSU athletics is on the up and up. Not only mens but womens also. I think that the Tiger fans have no reason to complain. The athletics at LSU are in fine shape for the future. Thoughts?

2. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

All three squads were limited by coaching... Basketball and baseball because they have sub-par coaches, and football because of the whole Saban-not-leaving-for-the-NFL-thing... its not a coincidence that the Tiger secondary was out of place in the loss to Iowa, and that Saban was the secondary coach... I'm thinking there was a distraction there...

3. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I agree to an extent on the coaching. Although Saban was prolly the second best coach in LSU's history, his head didnt seem to be in it last year. Hell, he was so wishy washy on the qb situtation that I think it cost LSU that game against Auburn and it very easily coulda been a one loss season. But, thast in the past. I stil lthink it was a productive season on all fronts. Hell, it coulda been like 98 when football and basketball stunk. Even that year the baseball team didnt get to Omaha. It is definately a lot brighter nowadays at LSU.

4. Berge

Berge Founding Member

scrappy, if you hadn't noticed, many LSU fans can't go a single season of a sport without questioning the coach. First Saban, then soon after, Brady, then Pokey (POKEY of all people!), Smoke, some even questioned Turtle (he was one of the best things to happen to LSU baseball since Skip). 2000 and 2001 classes at LSU were rated No. 2, his 2002 class earned the No. 3 ranking, and his 2003 class was rated No. 6.

I think softball, volleyball, and golf teams should be happy that most fans don't follow those sports too much, because people would be screaming for their heads by now.

5. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I guess the same could be said for the Yankees? Inspite of the fact that Stienbrenner loads up the roster each year with the best he can buy and Torre has won several World Series his coaching does not always lead to wins.

I'm disappointed too.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That may be the dumbest statement ever posted on an internet board anywhere in the world to date.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It's a tie with a few others that said the same thing. Pointing to one play when there was a mass of confusion on the field and the sidelines as a telling point for Saban being distracted is pretty absurd. Now, if someone says the team may have been somewhat distracted during the bowl preps I will agree, hell we all were. But that one play had nothing to do with it.

8. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

What constitutes well at LSU? I think to some that would mean win every game and title.
    Hang around for football season, with a new coach just let us have a bad performance and watch how fast some want him fired.
    I would think most were fairly happy with last years sports, I was.

9. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

And instead of offering a dissenting analysis, you just attack people. Grow up. :dis: :dis:

10. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I think it was Jerry Stovall's first game as Tiger coach. If not the very first, it was one of the first. Bobby Bowden and the Florida State Seminoles. A powerhouse. FSU won. As I was exiting the stadium, many LSU fans were chanting, " U-haul for Stovall." I was amazed. Most LSU fans are great. But some remind me of a cartoon I have seen many times. It shows two buzzards sitting on a tree limb. One buzzard looks over to his buddy and says, "Patience my ass, I'm fixing to kill something!!!!!" :hihi: