Red Beans & Rice

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Bengal B, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

This isn't a recipe but the best red beans & rice I ever made I used the hock from one of those spiral cut Honey Baked hams to season it and cooked the beans in a slow cooker crock pot.

2. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

try this one out with bengal b's hock from the honey baked ham and use red vs. pinto beans.......should come up with the same result.....yummy.

Beans and Mudbugs

1 lb pinto beans (or substitute red beans)
    3/4-1lb of cured ham(cut in small pieces) or the hony baked ham hock with all those yummy honeybaked scraps and pieces too.
    3/4-1lb of crayfish tails (substitute the word "crawfish")
    Place these in a Crock Pot with sufficent water and cook for 8-10 hours.
    * note: i like this guys receipe and ingredients, but i don't know if i'd want these crawfish tails in there for 8-10 hours. you may want to have them already cooked and add them in at the end so you don't wind up being able to bounce them off the walls.

In a pot large enough to hold the beans saute the following;

1 lg onion (diced)
    4 lg cloves of garlic
    1 lb smoked sausage
    Hot sauce to taste, or you can add dried pepper flakes or and pepper seasoning of your choice.
    When the onions are translucent add beans to pot along with 3/4 cup of rice and simmer until rice is tender. (here is where i'd add in the cooked crawfish tails with about 3-5 minutes left)
    Serve this with cornbread, sourdough, french, or bar-b-que bread and a cold glass of ice tea. If you put a spoon of this on your head, your tongue would slap your eyeballs out getting to it.

From Nicky Harcrow

3. jbizzel

jbizzel Freshman

Let me know where you will be after you eat, so I won't be around the area. PU