Report: Chuck Baker and Kennard Swanson De-Committed from LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Cajun Sensation, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I'm so confused. Tirk said this stuff never happens. Who should I believe on recruiting, Tirk, or Bhelm and my own common sense? Tough one.

2. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

That's what I heard grade issues as well.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Just so ironic I knew yet knew nothing of the players. Crazy how that works.

4. Dudebro2

Dudebro2 Veteran Member

Well unfortunately we will probably never know what the true story is, but he has the size and speed we need with Baker hopefully RSJ signs with LSU and makes this a moot point although if I am RSJ and I have a chance to play with Manziel and Summerlin or LSU, I have to admit it would be hard to pass up TAMU because of their offensive style and the QB that they will have for at least the next 2 years.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Chuck's father confirmed that the staff said he had to have a certain GPA by a certain date of the offer is off the table and he said his son didn't do his part. Similar to Swanson. This kind of benchmarking the prospects will be more common and necessary given the new 25 rule and fail to qualify rules. Too much risk for the programs.

6. Dudebro2

Dudebro2 Veteran Member

don't know if this is the right thing to do because it does not shed a pretty light on a player/recruit, but at the end of the day, I have always believed honesty is the way to go. This information is from my brother-n-law "his son, my nephew" is one of the studs on Salmen's team. He told me last night that apparently the parting of the ways with Mr. Baker is not just grades but that his numbers and performance this year were well below what LSU was expecting, and that he was not even the best WR on the Salmen's team this year. Couple that with the fact that there were attitudes issues with Mr. Baker this season and it sounds like this is a land-mine that LSU side stepped and for that I am grateful.

I am very old school "probably because I am old" and I am not an individual that enjoys hearing that LSU has pulled an offer on a kid after he has accepted the offer. I believe it truly hurts the recruit the most because it really limits the options of the recruit if something does not go the way that is planned. I have always felt that asking a recruit to commit early and then pulling the offer is not fair to the recruit in my book because it usually impacts the recruit so much. That being said, in this case, I trust my brother-in-law tremendously and if he states that was the best thing for LSU and since he is an alumni and knows a lot about football having played and coached the game at a very high level, then I am glad this happened now so that both parties can find other alternatives.

7. bhelmLSU

LSU gave him the option to wait and commit closer to NSD or commit now with a verbal agreement to meet certain academic standards. Even his own father is saying his son did not live up to his end of the bargain. That is something we don't see much in recruiting. This is the time most recruits and their families go off and say that their son was wronged and this that happened. I respect that, class act.

8. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

True you never hear of a guys father owning up to grade issues so quickly after the offer was pulled. Instead of ranting and raving about it, he's honest, proves to be a high character individual, rare nowadays.

9. Dudebro2

Dudebro2 Veteran Member

Ok, than you must be right and I must be wrong. I could have gone into a hell of a lot of more detail but I didn't because what I stated was suffice to say this was a land mine LSU side stepped. When the recruit was offered a scholarship no one could understand it because he wasn't on ANYONE's radar. He just performed well at an LSU camp. I am just stating, from what I have heard and the source is as pretty close to being as good as it gets, even if there were no academic issues the chance of this recruit being at LSU for 4 years, probably none. If you don't want to believe it, than don't could care less

10. bhelmLSU

Not sure where you are getting the right and wrong stuff from. Just stating what has come out. Remember all offers are conditional. In actuality according to LSU staff we could take as many as 29 prospects in this class due to the deflections in the last signing class and with early enrollees counting back. But as you can see we only have 23 committed and we are not going to use all of them so we have room in numbers. Baker was on the radar before he committed and offered a scholarship with stipulations just like everyone else.