Reutergate: Tip of the Iceberg?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by kcal, Aug 7, 2006.

?

Reutergate: Tip of the iceberg or isolated incident?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2006.
  1. yep, tip of the iceberg

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. nah, isolated incident

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

[​IMG]
    From Cox & Forkum, who have more details and updates.

It seems that our unbiased friends at Reuters are giving a whole new meaning to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Tip of the iceberg or isolated incident?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Got some examples?

This sounds more like a Lebanese freelancer taking advantage of Reuters.

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/news.php3?id=109521

4. homertiger

homertiger Founding Member

Example #1: Reuters refuses to call a terrorist a "terrorist"

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

So Reuters' photo editors are not qualified to spot fakes? That's why you have photo editors. They knew.

6. kcal

kcal Founding Member

digg this | del.icio.us | email this article

Photographer Alleges Unearthing of Bodies

From the international photographer’s forum Lightstalkers.org, photojournalist Bryan Denton, in a message from Beirut Lebanon, describes the most vile sort of photo staging imaginable: Lightstalkers :: Staged Shots from Lebanon? Please comment...
    i have been working in lebanon since all this started, and seeing the behavior of many of the lebanese wire service photographers has been a bit unsettling. while hajj has garnered a lot of attention for his doctoring of images digitally, whether guilty or not, i have been witness to the daily practice of directed shots, one case where a group of wire photogs were choreographing the unearthing of bodies, directing emergency workers here and there, asking them to position bodies just so, even remove bodies that have already been put in graves so that they can photograph them in peoples arms. these photographers have come away with powerful shots, that required no manipulation digitally, but instead, manipulation on a human level, and this itself is a bigger ethical problem.
    whatever the case is—lack of training, a personal drive as a photographer to show what is happening to your country in as powerful a way as possible, or all out competitiveness, i think that the onus is on the wire services themselves, because they act as the employer/filter of their photogs work. standards should be in place or else the rest of us end up paying the price. and i’m not against the idea of local wire photographers, but after seeing it over and over for the past month, i think it is something that is worth addressing. while i walk away from a situation like that, one wire shooter sets up a situation, and the rest of them follow.......
    by Bryan Denton Fri Aug 11 07:36:08 UTC 2006 | Beirut, Lebanon

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Photographers have been staging scenes since the dawn of photography. The famous Gettysburg battle dead photos have been proved to have been mostly staged. Alterations too. stalin had Trotsky photographically removed from many official photos. National Geographic photographers have been busted for altering photos of the pyramids to make them fit a vertical cover shot. Time Magazine photographers were severely criticised for making OJ Simpson blacker. John Kerry was slimed with a doctored photo of him appearing next to Jane Fonda at an anti-war rally. The list is long. Newsweek recently place Martha Stewart's photo on the body of a slimmer woman to sugget she lost weight while in prison.

I don't think the unprofessional practices of Lebanese photographers constitute a consistent pattern of misleading reporting by Reuters. It happens to many publishers. But SabanFan makes a very valid point. Reuters photo editors should have been on top of the situation MUCH better than they were.