Road to EAUXmaha, Game 1 : Scouting Marist

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BostonBengal, Jun 2, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Marist College Red Foxes 33-19 (22-5 in the MAAC)

Games against opponents of interest:
    ULL Lost 10-1
    Tulane Lost 8-4 (10 inn)
    Tulane Lost 24-2
    Tulane Lost 11-5
    Virginia Lost 3-0
    Virginia Lost 10-5
    Virginia Lost 6-0
    Boston College WON 8-4

They are 0-7 vs regional teams.

Obviously, with the exception of BC, they've played some stiff competition and no doubt having ULL, Tulane and UVA on their schedule, helped their RPI and got them game experience vs top competition.

Marist is batting .282 as a team with 20 HR's , 321 Runs scored, 281 RBI's and 80 stolen bases in 113 attempts.

Key players:
    Travis Mulsof .359 BA 205 AB 0 HR 28 RBI 49 R 25 SB's in 31 ATT
    Keith Brachold .275 BA 214 AB 5 HR 49 RBI 27 R 11 SB's in 14 ATT

Pitchers
    Chris Tracz LHP 9-3 2.85 ERA 5 CG 98.1 INN 75 SO 17 BB
    Jonathan Smith LHP 7-1 4.52 ERA 3 CG 79.2 INN 45 SO 11 BB
    Eric Supplee RHP 5-4 4.12 ERA 1 CG 54.2 INN 38 SO 14 BB

I think with Marist, and their lack of power hitters, they will bring the "small ball" game to Baton Rouge. They seem to run effectively as a team and I think that if they are to avoid 0-2, they'll use their baserunning to help them manufacture runs.

With Liuzza not the most polished defensive catcher out there, Mestephey had better keep the ball down in the zone and not give up free bases on walks.

Obviously, we can beat this team but it will be interesting to see who the Red Foxes send to the mound. My guess is it's going to me Smith, saving Tracz for perhaps an elimination game situation. Tracz seems to be a good pitcher that could play on just about any team in the nation. But, we've seen pitchers of that caliber and even greater, so his "stuff" shouldn't be something our hitters haven't faced before, so they need to be ready.

I don't want to let a team like this hang on for too long in a game--especially their first one. You don't want to give an over-matched team any momentum. We need to jump on them early, and take their spirits early.

:geauxtige :tigbas: :geauxtige :tigbas:

http://goredfoxes.collegesports.com/sports/m-basebl/mari-m-basebl-body.html

2. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

Thanks for the info! I had to tell my Dad where they were from in NY- Poughkeepsie!

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

:) Just hope he doesn't ask you for the spelling of "Poughkeepsie" off hand! :hihi:

4. swoop

swoop Founding Member

Seems like they should pitch Tracz against us, esp. since we aren't sending our 1st, 2nd or even 3rd best pitcher. They have to beat us sooner or later if they want to advance and tomorrow will be their best shot.

5. u r tigerbait22

u r tigerbait22 Founding Member

i believe meier is starting for us...and Tracz for them...i think it became official the other day:geauxtige LSU! :tigbas: :lsup:

6. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

My dad?? Uhh no. :hihi: