RP, post UT awards banquet

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by tigerfanintampa, Dec 11, 2004.

1. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

We are now at 60-40, Texas-LSU. Doesn't sound like someone who is committed at this point. Here's the article from the Austin paper.

Texas honors past season, looks to future
    Award ceremony chance to congratulate team, sway top recruits

By Cedric Golden

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, December 11, 2004

During his whirlwind awards show jaunt the past week, Texas Coach Mack Brown has been a constant companion to his two All-Americans, running back Cedric Benson and linebacker Derrick Johnson, who picked up the Butkus Award on Friday.

Brown's job did not end there.

In the win-first game of college football, the future is now and the intense competition that is national recruiting never seems to stop. That's why Texas traditionally uses its annual football awards banquet as a backdrop to entertain, and hopefully influence, some of the nation's most prized prep athletes.

Texas coaches and staff sported red roses on their lapels Friday in reference to the school's first BCS bowl appearance, which comes on New Year's Day against Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

"We're not finished yet," Brown said before a video of the past season was presented. "Our goal is not to win a Rose Bowl ring but to win a national championship ring."

While there is still a season to be concluded, there were signs in the audience that the planning for 2005 has begun.

The jewel of the still-fluid 2005 recruiting class, quarterback Ryan Perrilloux of Reserve East St. John (La.) High, attended the banquet along with nine other Texas recruits. Perrilloux has been the No. 1 recruiting priority of Texas and LSU for the past year and indicated Friday he could still go either way in his decision. The nation's top-rated dual-threat quarterback (he had more than 3,500 yards of offense this past season) has committed to Texas, but said he is leaving his options open.

"Right now it's 60-40, Texas," said Perrilloux, who is being shown around Austin by sophomore quarterback Vince Young. "After I take my other visit, then I will be ready to make the final decision."

That other visit will be to Baton Rouge on Jan. 28. His trip to LSU will be five days before national signing day, when recruits can make their commitments binding.

Texas fans are hoping Perrilloux's final visit to Austin makes enough of an impression to bring him back, say for voluntary summer workouts.

Texas also has commitments from two of the state's top runners -- Port Arthur Memorial's Jamaal Charles and San Antonio Clark's Jerrell Wilkerson. The running back position will be an important one in 2005, with All-American Benson leaving for the pros, Selvin Young coming back from a broken ankle, and Erik Hardeman hoping to be back in good academic standing.

"I always wanted to play here," said the 6-foot, 185-pound Charles, who rushed for 2,056 yards, including a career high 371 against Midland Lee. "There have always been good running backs come through here."

As for the banquet, the highlights included a speech by former Texas player and international businessman Jim Bob Moffett; a video feature on walk-on sophomore Ahmard Hall, who did not attend because he was home babysitting while his wife worked overtime to pay for the Rose Bowl trip; and a speech by senior wide receiver Tony Jeffery, who chronicled the regular season and the team theme of "Believe."

The biggest ovations came when Brown recognized the six student managers who drove to the Cal-Southern Mississippi game two weeks ago and were spotted by ESPN's cameras.

That was followed by the announcement that Johnson had won the Butkus Award and that Benson had been named the Cingular Wireless Player of the Year, which will be officially awarded today.

[email protected]; 912-5944

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Wow, I'm suprised that he would say 60-40 Texas at their banquet. In my mind, that means that in reality LSU has an even better shot than that in his mind already. Just wait till he takes his official visit, Saban will seal the deal and RP will be a tiger!

3. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Exactly. Getting catered to in Texas at thier awards night and all they get is 60 40.

4. SanAntonioTiger

SanAntonioTiger Founding Member

Yep.

Again, just talked to someone in the UT program.
    RP not thrilled about the fact that he would sit behind Vince Young for 2 years until he played.

He likes the idea of starting for LSU next fall, A la Chris Leak

5. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

Weekend just ended and he said he was 100% UT. I'm still not sold on it, but I think your source is a little off if he walked away "not thrilled".

Rival$

Of course LSU will get the last crack at him, and seeing how easily he seems to be swayed...LSU could very well get him. But I think it's 50/50 either way right now.

6. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I just saw a report where he now says he is 100% committed to Texas. I don't think its over but the report was unsettling. Such a roler coaster ride.

7. conradj

conradj Founding Member

beat me to it Austin.

He said he wont cancel his visit so that will play in our favor. I dont think Mack will be able to talk to him after his visit is complete through signing day. I agree 50/50, though that report has me kinda believing yall get him.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Wow, he's just figuring this out NOW?

That has been the basis for me saying Ryan won't sign with Texas all along. Young won't go pro after his junior year cuz he isn't good enough, but he will start for the next 2 years, because he is just that good.

FSU, South Carolina and LSU appear to have the best choices for this young man, if he is planning on starting his first year.

If Berlin is a senior, add Miami to that mix as well.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Perrilloux did make his trip to UT this weekend and he now says he is 100 % Texas. Of course, it's easy for him to say that now. That's more of an emotional thing. By the time Jan. 28th comes around, the numbers will be fluctuating once again.

10. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

FSU is a good choice for Perrilloux? Remember Xavier Lee?