Saban long-term???

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tygrr, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I was just curious as to how long each of you think Saban will stay at LSU. I'm asking this because I saw where somebody posted that they think Saban will only be here for another 2 year which I think is ridiculous. Saban has never given any indication that he want's to leave soon, yet someone seems to think he'll only be here 2 more years.

Reasons I think he'll be here for awhile:

-stated on numerous occasions how happy he is here
    -stated that he wants to build a dynasty at LSU(he's nowhere near that yet)
    -stated that the nfl isn't something he's interested in right now(read my signature)
    -his wife and kids love it in Baton Rouge
    -his future is bright at LSU
    -way too much talent to just leave behind for an uncertain nfl job

I'm not sure which one of you posted something about Saban only staying 2 more years, but if you'd like to explain why you feel that way, I'm sure some of us would like to hear why.

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'm only looking for him to be here a couple more years. Of course I consider myself a realist, and I like to prepare myself early for the worst case scenarios. I think he will be here until his kids graduate at least, but I do think eventually he will want to know what he can do in the NFL.

If he stays past two more years, that's wonderful. I also am preparing myself for the possibility he could jet after next season. We all know he won't be here forever. We just have to wait and find out when he leaves.

3. I think he'll be here another 6 years or so or until Emmert leaves, which ever comes first.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I just don't see him up and leaving. He has the chance to be the next Bear Bryant or Spurrier or Holtz. He has the perfect layout for a run at being a dynasty. What coach, in their right mind, would leave that at the table?

5. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

I,
    I personally believe he is committed to BR till his children graduate high school (I think they have about 4-5 years left). He and Terry have both made these comments to friends. After that… I believe Saban has a wait and see attitude. You never know how the college environment may change. Those of us drunk on LSU-I-tess, find it unrealistic that someone might have other goals than to coach at LSU for the rest of their life. That being said… how could any die hard coach not want to be king in Tiger town.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

First, he didn't say he wanted to build a "Dynasty", he has said repeatedly that he wants to build a dominating program that competes on the national level and for championships every year. I don't think "Dynasty" has ever been said.

I too am realistic and if he left after next season I would be very disappointed but not shocked. I also wouldn't be shocked if he stayed here a long time. I think it will be a year to year decision for him and he'll decide after each season what he wants to do. God knows his kids can go to any school in the country but how much that, the kids and Terry's desire's and anything else plays a part of his decision we just don't know.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

I have an idea for keeping Saban around. Nick and his family will move somewhere between Baton Rouge and New Orleans and Nick will simply be the head coach for both LSU and the Saints. Practice each week will feature the Saints D vs. the LSU offense and the LSU D vs. the Saints offense. The Saints will play 3 of their home games in Tiger Stadium on weekends that LSU plays at home in order to allow fans to tailgate for another day and night. Saban's contract will have a clause that will bring him $22,500,000.00 if he wins the Super Bowl and a NC (that is $5 from everyone in LA). Also, Nick will get his own jet, his own reality TV show, shoe contract, soft drink sponsor and his own clothing line (I think he may already have his own clothing line). Also, the Louisiana Superdome will be renamed Saban Stadium and he will automatically become Governor of LA the day he retires. I have heard that this is in the works.

8. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Now that is a good post!!!

9. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Wrong...YOU'VE never heard the word "Dynasty" used.....he said it in an interview some time after the Sugar Bowl. I have heard the comments about a dominating program, that's not what I'm referring to.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Saban likes the NFL and wants to be a Head Coach. I don't think that's a secret to anyone.

It's all about challenges with Saban ... not money, not accolades, etc. Once Saban believes he has built a dominant program here at LSU, he will leave.

The question is: how does Saban define a dominant program? Only time will tell...