Saban, Stoops, Carroll...etc

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Apr 18, 2004.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

This question was asked on the OU board to put them in order, for the most part alot of props for Saban by the OU fans. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
    I'd go with this order, and no interjecting from Auburn fans on this thread as this is top 5, not 105

1. Saban
    2. Stoops
    3. Tressel
    4. Richt
    5. Carroll

reflector
    Freshman
    Reply Saban or Carroll
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Who do you guys think is the better coach? I think Saban, for the fact that he got so many good players to commit for the 2003 season when in 2002 LSU did not look near what it does today. I think Carroll gets alot of people to go to USC, because there is so much to do in Southern California. I think Bob stoops is still the best coach in college football. I have just been thinking about this today.

ZeppelinNick
    OU Honorary Coach
    Re: Saban or Carroll
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob Stoops

reflector
    Freshman
    Reply Re: Saban or Carroll
    Stoops is the best in college football, but is Saban better than Carroll

ToledoSooner
    Freshman
    Saban is far and away the better coach. The SEC is a real conference and Saban's ability to recruit and develop players is second only to Bob Stoops.

Carroll on the other hand benefits from the PAC-10 being weak. USC has become the Miami of the West. Players are going there more for the hype than for anything else.

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimateSooner0501
    Junior
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hate to ride the fence, but I think it's a tossup. It didn't take Carroll long to get USC turned around, and his team wasn't really supposed to be in the NC hunt this year. It's taken Saban a little longer to get LSU to the top, but that's not surprising considering how tough the SEC is. Both of them run good, respectable programs. Both are great coaches.

Still wouldn't trade Bob for anybody.

LASooner1
    Sophomore
    Recruiting players to USC is like recruiting lawyers to a car accident, how could he not get good players? but he is a good coach, because Hackett couldn't do crap with that same group. But the biggest difference is the pressure factor is much lower at USC than LSU, Los Angeles is not a football town. You'd be hard pressed to find 3 out of 5 people who give a rats butt about college football, even on the day of the USC/UCLA game. So for Saban to succeed in the SEC it's much more impressive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    angneli
    Hobby is:Cows!
    1. Saban
    2. Stoops
    3. Carroll

If I were going to put the three in order.

Royalsfanatic
    Honorary Team Captain
    T1. Stoops
    T1. Saban
    3. Carroll

Bone4040
    Stranger
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    It would be very interesting to see if Carroll would enjoy the same success without Norm Chow as his O-coordinator

oustudent786
    Senior
    exactly. We know that you take the HC position title out and go back to his years at K St and UF. He was a GREAT DC. So we know for fact that Bob Stoops is a great coach.

Little is known about Saban or Carroll on the other hand. We know that Saban gets very involved w/ the DBs. That's primarily why (I assume) their DBs do such a wonderful job. Now, I have no basis of saying how good/bad of a coach Carroll is. We know for sure that his team plays good ball. Now, do you credit Norm Chow for that or Carroll, not sure at all.

So if i were to pick I'd go w/ Stoops, Saban, and then Carroll. But who knows, Carroll could be far better than the other two and can be worse than the other two also.

As a Head Coach, I'd go w/ Stoops, Carroll, and then Saban. The ONLY reason i put saban as #3 is 'cos they had an off year the year before last. Also, I haven't followed either Saban or Pete closely, so my opinion may not mean much at all. However, undoubtedly, Stoops is THE MAN.

SoonersBeatPokes
    Honorary Team Captain
    angneli of course you would do that. You never put someone associated with OU first. You are known for making posts like that.
    angneli
    Hobby is:Cows!
    If you would have asked me before last season I would have said Stoops. He was outcoached in the sugar bowl.

kdall
    Junior
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Saban is better than Carroll. Saban and Stoops is a toss-up. Stoops has won big wherever he has been, while Saban only started to win big when went down to the Bayou. I think it is easier to recruit to Baton Rouge than it is to USC.

USCemper
    Sooner Recruit
    there is not doubt that Stoops is by far the better coach than either Saban or Carroll.

And you are correct. Nobody cares about football in Southern California. On most Saturday afternoon, even when SC is in town, most of the fans hang out by the Santa Monica pier drinking beer and fishing for the Great but Elusive Pacific "bucket head" catfish.

SoonerFanSouth
    Honorary All Big XII
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Obviously, Bob Stoops is by far the best college football coach...period.

As someone who lives in Louisiana, I differ with those who say that Nick Saban is a better coach than Pete Carroll.

Finally, after several years of turmoil at LSU...Nick Saban achieved some stability within his own coaching staff.

As we might recall, Gary Gibbs was the DC for a very short period...as was the fate of many of Saban's coaches. As the convenional wisdom goes down here...when he finally hired some coaches who could conform to Saban's micro management of their position groups...then LSU excelled.

Saban's principal strength is his ability to recognize that...for whatever reason...Louisiana is a football talent-rich state. And Saban is an outstanding recruiter.
    He's a Mack Brown who gets results.

Even with slightly better than average coaching, the talent-laden LSU football squad was molded into an excellent football team.

OUNomad
    Junior
    I think Saban is the better strategist, but I credit Carroll for bringing such a top notch staff to USC.

sosik
    Sooner Recruit
    exactly. We know that you take the HC position title out and go back to his years at K St and UF. He was a GREAT DC. So we know for fact that Bob Stoops is a great coach.

Little is known about Saban or Carroll on the other hand.
    Saban had one of the top statistical defenses in the history of the NFL when he was the DC for the Browns.

oufiji
    Frat dude
    I hate to do this but, you have to consider that Stoops and Saban have gone head to head once and Saban won so...

1) Saban
    2) Stoops
    3) Carroll

Again, the two went head to head and he beat us so I have to take off the crimson glasses and be honest.
    But other than that Stoops did take over a program in the proverbial gutter and brought it to a NC in two years. His record speaks for itself.

gouxgate
    Sooner Recruit
    Reply It's official
    The OU fans pick Saban over PC!

Shall I report the results from another impartial baord?

For those of you wondering how PC would do without Norm Chow, I will be his spokesman and reply that coach Chow is flattered.

richhnd
    New OU Commitment
    angneli of course you would do that. You never put someone associated with OU first. You are known for making posts like that
    I am pretty sure that you can expect more bias out of a sooner for Stoops than a poke for Saban. Unless of course, your a sooner.

oustudent786
    Senior
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Saban had one of the top statistical defenses in the history of the NFL when he was the DC for the Browns.
    And I agree. But this is COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Not the NFL. I hope you understand.

The criteria I'm using doesn't necessarily tell me how good Saban or Caroll are. One thing is for sure that they're both very successful. But I have no means to judge who's better.

As much as I hate USC, i love to watch them play.
    As much as i respect LSU, i love to watch them play also.

I'm just not sure what part of USC's game comes straight from Pete Carroll, and what part of LSU's comes from Saban. Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

1) Saban
    2) Stoops
    3) Carroll
    4) Ferentz - Very under-rated, IMO.
    5) Les Miles - Another upcoming coach who could bring OSU to a surprise title this year in the BigXII

3. BB

BB Founding Member

Gentlemen, these are not the OU fans we have come to know - they are showing their true colors now as intelligent, football savy and objective football fans. All 3 of these coaches are head and shoulders above the rest, and with a faded Paterno, an inevitably fading Bowden and all the Miami players ending up in prison these 3 coaches are the gold standard. It's nice to see such an insightful discussion from the OU board - I was tired of hearing about how dirty New Orleans was and how obnoxious "Tiger Bait" is. Great to see the discussion finally shift back to the football field. Also, Auburn Sucks!

4. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Carroll can recruit but he's probably the most overrated coach in the NCAA. Here's a defensive guy who's defenses are mediocre at best. All that talent in New England and couldn't do anything with it. Soon as he leaves, Bill Belichick (who claims he learned as much from Saban as taught him) takes over and presto! USC's defense? Let me know when you see it. Not even ranked among the top 100 against the pass last year.

Petey should get on his knees and blow Chow after every win. Maybe he does.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

1. Saban
    2. Stoops
    3. Tressel
    4. Richt
    5. Carroll

It was hard to place Carroll. I could have placed him at #3 (but no higher for sure) or out of the top 5 completely. If you think about it, he is like Saban in the fact that he has more input on the D side of the ball, where USC is just plain unimpressive. On the O-side, you can give most of the credit to Norm Chow. So it's hard to analyze where to place him. He is one heck of a recruiter, that much we do know. Therefore, I place him 5th. I do remember he was not worth crap in the NFL.

As far as the Sooner board, it still does make sense when they were saying that Stoops is far and away better than Saban. I wouldn't even say that about Saban over Stoops, it's more like 1 and 1a for me. I just think Saban is classier in doing what he does, and that gives him the nod over Snooty.....er.....I mean Stoops.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

IMO, one of the most important thing a HC can do is get the right assistants and let them do what they do, especially coordinators. In their area of expertise it's ok to have more influence and to set the schemes, players, etc. Saban let's Fisher run the O, Carroll let's Chow run the O. Carroll is a great college coach at this time, is NFL record has no bearing on his college record. If we didn't have nick I would opt for Carroll over any other coach in the country right now, he has brought the Trojan football program back to where it is supposed to be after some dreadful years. Just like Nick and Stoops have done. He has re-united their fan base also, which was terribly splintered. His team was very well balanced. They went 12-1 and were really in only one close game all year. They did what they had to do to be a great team and that is the most important fact to consider. He is right up their with Saban and Stoops with Stoops being the most consistent coach so far.

7. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

Saban
    Stoops
    Carrol
    Urban Meyer - Utah
    Richt

In Meyer's first HC season at Utah he led the Utes to a 10-2 record, which ties for the best record in school history, and a 17-0 Liberty Bowl victory over Southern Miss. He shattered old attendance marks, was 4-0 on national tv, won the MWC, beat Colorado State, Air Force, and BYU all on the road, snapped BYU's 28 year, 361 game scoring streak, was 2-0 against the Pac10 (Cal and #19 Oregon). This guy will be at a major school in no time. He's going to be a VERY good head coach.

8. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

1) Saban / Stoops
    5) Mark Richt
    12) Peter Carroll

Stoops is a great coach, a great recruiter and a great strategist (if that's a word?). I don't know if he was out coached in the Sugar Bowl or not, but even if he was I wouldn't consider him dog meat. The Sugar Bowl was the Best vs. the Best and the Best won.

Pete Carroll has done nothing to impress me other than put a magnificent spin on USC's #2 National Ranking. His team's can't compete with a real SEC program (take the hint War Chickens).