Saints dump Norman Hand

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ricky, Apr 27, 2003.

1. ricky

ricky Freshman

Another salary cap casualty. I think they got about a 6th round draft pick in the deal. Things are really looking up.:D :confused:

2. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

He wasn't worth $5 million+ that the Saints would have been paying him next year and was going to be cut anyways. Atleast they got something back for him. And then they spent the 6th round pick on a WR, a good choice because they are in dire need of more receivers. :rolleyes:

3. ricky

ricky Freshman

Did they try to trade him before? Did you know this was in the works? They said this years contract was for more than 3 mil and next years was for more tham 4. So what is the market value for a starting defensive tackle these days? Just curious.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I'm pretty sure they were going to cut him for salary cap reasons before June 1st. So they were probably trying to trade him so they could get something back for him. DT's make hefty money in the NFL these days but Hand's performance was sub-par last year as well so that was probably also a factor. If he played like Warren Sapp the Saints would be more than happy to pay him 3 or 4 mil per year.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I will never understand the moves the Saints make. Last year they let Le Roi Glover and Joe Johnson get away and they gave up 20 or more points in 15 out of 16 games. This year they trade Kyle Turley. Turley might be a hothead but at least he was passionate about the game and would stand up for his team and do whatever it took to protect his quarterback. Does Haslett really think that Norman Stinchcomb can fill Turley's shoes?

Norman Hand was worth more than a 6th round pick. Then they blow the pick on a wide receiver. Besides the fact that it is a real reach to hope that a 6th rounder will even make the team the Ain'ts need a cornerback a hell of a lot worse than they need another WR. With Joe Horn, Dante Stallworth and Jerome Pathon they are already in good shape with quality WRs. I realize that they have to stay under the salary cap but if they have to trade a high priced player they should at least be able to get better value

6. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

His stats dropped off alot last season. And his weight jumped WAY too much.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Norman Hand's next gig will be on the big screen in the film version of Fat Albert

8. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

What college did Joe Johnson go to?

Thanks

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Joe Johnson went to Louisville I believe.