Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Santa Claus

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Cajun Sensation, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

At what age should you break the news to your kid that Santa is not real?

My son is 8 and I think he still believes.

I want to put an end to it, but his mom wants to let it ride. He's really smart, but he trusts everything that his mother and I tell him so I think he just believes it because he trusts us.

Should I break the news to him? Should I let his older sister do the honors?
  2. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

make it fun for him, dress up as Santa and come into his room on Christmas Eve and reveal yourself as richard simmons.
  3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I say let him stay innocent until he figures it out. Kids have to face reality too young in my opinion. Lt em have something magical as long as you can.

A dickhole Alabama fan told my kids Santa wasn't real last year when they tiger baited him. We were able to smooth it over with the kids by telling them that bama fans are really dumb.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Yeah I would say let it ride. At some point they will figure it out. Hell my kid is more worried about the damn elf on the shelf. Pain in the ass having to find new places to hide that little bastard.
    fanatic and StaceyO like this.
  5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

The Elf of the Shelf is about as creepy as it gets.

Also, whoever invented that is probably doing pretty well, financially.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Book and a creepy elf for 40ish bucks yeah Id say they aint hurtin
  7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My older daughter found out in 3rd grade (after Christmas) because that was the age I found out (but before Christmas).

She's been great about letting my younger daughter (who's now in 3rd grade) believe. Kids at school are telling her otherwise, and yet she clings to her belief--and she loves her TWO elves on the shelf, Jingles and Holly Day.

I've decided to tell her after Easter--when she brings it up again about Santa not being real.

Christmas was never as magical after I found out, and I understand letting a child go without knowing for a while; however, I wouldn't want the kids to start picking on my child if they were too old and didn't know--like 5th or 6th grade.
  8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I started a thread about this last year (or maybe two years ago). My eldest son is now 10 and we told him the truth about Santa a few weeks after Christmas (last year I think).

He asked who got him his presents every year and we told him that we did. We could see all kinds of thoughts churning through his head. He asked a couple of more questions (would he still get presents, the tooth fairy, etc.) and told us he really loved us for all of the presents over the years.

About 30 minutes after we told him, he came back to ask if the Elf on the Shelf was real. When we told him no, he asked if we knew where he was so that he could touch him. We let him see/touch the Elf and it was almost like I was watching him grow up a minute at a time. This year, he's helping come up with ideas for the Elf with our 6 yr old.

I found out about Santa from an older neighbor kid and it was a little traumatic to realize my parents had been lying about it. There were at least 2-3 Christmas seasons that I pretended to believe and didn't even talk about it to most of my friends (which was strange).
    Cajun Sensation likes this.
  9. fanatic

fanatic Buckle your seatbelts...

At least I'm not the only one going through that.
  10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Veteran Member

Let it ride…They will figure it out when their friends do. I would rather not deal with other parents informing me that their kids found out from mine. But if they hit 12 and still believe then tough love is in order.