Sea Salt; Celery Salt; Iodized/Non Iodized Salt

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

We're not yankees in s louisiana. We get weather like this once every 5 years.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The trick is to cover it after the temperature is below freezing. If you put it on while liquid water can still form, it could freeze it to the glass.

Absolutely. Don't do that. Plain tap water is warm enough to melt ice.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I destroyed the window of my rental car pouring room temperature water on it in sub zero temperatures. Hertz was none to pleased when they had to send someone from four hours away to bring me a new car and pick up the one with busted glass.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Man, one time I just turned the heat all the way up and turned the knob to defrost and I watched a crack haul ass from one side of my windshield to the other near the bottom. I guess the temp changed too fast and it just cracked.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dam. I was lucky. Had not noticed this until just now. My teenager's vehicle was iced over and I did.

6. LSUTiga

Okay what about "Curing salt?" I recently undertook making jerky.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's the pink salt right? It has nitrates in it, a preservative that kills bacteria. I like corned beef, but I always buy it already brined. But to brine a beef yourself, they use the pink salt because it keeps the meat from turning gray, it stays red.

But jerky really doesn't require salt does it? When I was a kid in Utah we made jerky by just hanging it in the sun to dry. In the desert that was all we needed to do. Down by the rivers we had to keep a small smoky fire going to keep the files off of it until the surface dried.

I tried making it in Louisiana once, but it just rotted. The humidity is too damp. Most people make jerky here by drying it in an oven or a desiccator. By the way, the nitrite they use mostly is saltpeter.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Won't saltpeter keep you from jerking a stiff jerky?

9. LSUTiga

Require? No. Not if you eat in in 14 days or so. If you want to keep it longer, it's safer. Least that's what I've come across in a bit of researching.

I have a pretty nice dehydrator. It's a Sausage Maker brand.

[​IMG]

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/32609.html

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That thing is $553. A friend of mine had a glass one that was probably less than $30. He could make 5 pounds of jerky at a time with it and it tasted great.