SEC contenders? Dance talk...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by RedElephants, Feb 19, 2006.

1. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Ok so lets discuss...Who is in, who is out, and who can move on in the dance? Also, post your first team All-SEC...

My first team...
    PG: Ronald Steele
    SG: Chris Lofton
    SF: Ronnie Brewer
    PF: Glen Davis
    C: Jermareo Davidson

I tried to be as un biased as possible but I just couldn't leave Ron Steele out. He's such a complete player and leader. Doesn't have the big points numbers because of his sore back and the role he played early, when Chuck Davis was still playing. Since CD went down, Steele averages 18+ ppg.

Also, many of you doubt my choice of Davidson im sure. With 14 ppg/9 rpg/2.2 bpg I think he has to be in there. He's a scoring threat from inside and can step just inside the line and bury the jumper.

As for locks in, you have Florida, Tennessee, LSU...

I think we are in after that big win over UT, BAMA is in, but we still need to pick up a couple wins we're supposed to win (MSU, AU).

With LSU, UT, and UF left, I dont see Kentucky getting those games, but if they get 2 of 3, they are in because of their name.

Arky is also iffy because 3 of their last 4 are winable and if they beat UT, they are in.

As for doing damage in the dance, I see Florida making a quick exit again. Look at their non-conference schedule...JOKE. They wont be prepared. I think that Tennessee can make it to the Sweet 16 but they have to start playing better defense. LSU can make a run but they have to stay out of foul trouble, keep the ball going inside, and honestly, DMitch can't have many off nights in the dance--he's going to have to stay hot. I think that Bama will do somewhat of what they did a few years ago with the Elite 8 run. We were only 7 deep then and knocked off Stanford and Syracuse. I dont see them having the legs for another Elite 8 run though. I think LSU, Bama, and UT move on farthest in the Dance.

....Thoughts??? :thumb:

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

As far as All SEC goes, it is hard to decide between Lofton, Steele, and Mitchell.

Tourny:

I say UF, LSU,UT,UK, and Bama get bids.
    Arkansas could get bid and UK could get the shaft.

I think UF,LSU, Bama, and UT have Sweet 16 potential.

I would say with the right draw LSU and Tennessee could go the furthest.

However, too much lack of depth is going to kill the SEC eventually.
    Next year should be a different story.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Not only will D. Mitchell be all SEC; he'll be MVP. Forget about Davidson as well. The media will put a gator or vol in that slot.

4. RedElephants

I'm not trying to predict All-SEC honors, just wanting you guys to add who you think and why...

As for JD...No Vol big man even compares. Major??? Psshhh...Noah from UF is the only guy that can compare, and yet his numbers arent as good.

As far as Steele and DMitch...It's tough, but I just think Steele is better all-around.

5. LSUGOLFER

LSUGOLFER Founding Member

Lofton has D Mitch right now. I believe whoever wins the SEC gets this award.

6. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

well if u want to go with stats, Tyrus Thomas averages 13 ppg/9 rpg/3 bpg also shooting at 61%....he's also a key part to our team, we need to him to be consistent to win
    d-mitch has 18 ppg/ 4 rpg/ 5 apg
    and big baby has 18/10 with a fg% of 51%
    i personally think we have 3 legit all-sec and 2 mvp candidates in davis and mitchell,
    LSU alwyas seems to do good with awards and such (last 2 freshman of the year, mvp last year as well)
    i would expect us to do the same this year

7. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

i dont see any of the sec teams getting far in the dance this year. ultimately uk will go the farthest. bama and lsu will prolly get sent home after the second round if they get good draws in the first round.

8. RedElephants

What kind of drugs are you on? Have you even watched them this season? I was wrong at the begining of the year...I said they would eventually get back on track but they have yet to do so. They probably wont even make it...They have 3 of the best teams in the SEC left to play.

9. Kjunsausage

Kjunsausage Founding Member

they will make it and will go deeper than lsu and bama. and if you want to wager a 6 pack on it i will give you my address to forward my winnings. bud light please.
    seriously i think they are playing much better now and tubby has the experience. i also believe they will steal a w at pmac.

10. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

The SEC will get 5 teams into the NCAA tourney...6 if one of the lower 7 teams wins the SEC tourney.

Tennessee
    Florida
    LSU
    Alabama

Thos are the 4 locks and that is also the order of who will be seeded highest to lowest in the tourney also..

It's tough to get a gauge on the RPI and SOS and all of that b/c you see 20 different versions of it on different websites.

Kentucky has a brutal schedule the rest of the way but if they take two out of 3 they get in no matter what they do in the SEC tourney..

Vandy and USC arent really in the running anymore.

Arkansas will be the only one left in the SEC to contend with Kentucky for the final spot. That win over Florida helps them out in a big way but they've got Bama who is riding high off of that win over Tenn on Tuesday and Tennesee on Saturday so that is make or break time of the Hogs. Vandy plays LSU which they may win, but then they have USC on Saturday and that game will wash one of those teams out of contention. USC needs to basically win out and get 1 or 2 in the SEC tourney.