Secret to Saban's Success: Be Like Freddy Krueger

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Kurtis Bleaux, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Kurtis Bleaux

Kurtis Bleaux Founding Member

Nick Saban to youth football camp: Pay attention, don't play Xbox, be like Freddy Krueger (video)

‪Nick Saban's 2011 Football Camp‬‏ - YouTube

Published: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 5:11 PM Updated: Thursday, July 28, 2011, 5:11 PM
    By Dennis Pillion, al.com

Alabama football coach Nick Saban demands focus and hard work from players of all ages. (AP Photo)
    TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- When you sign up to play football for Nick Saban, you better pay attention. Even if you're only 8 years old.

In a YouTube video said to be from the 2011 Alabama youth football camp in Tuscaloosa, Saban gives a speech to 8-14 year-old campers and their parents. He touches on a range of topics and his usual themes on consistency, hard work and dominating your opponent.

Saban didn't pull any punches either, letting some strong language slip out during a rant about playing Xbox (for which he apologized in advance).

Here are some highlights from the 16-minute video, which I highly recommend watching if you need to get fired up on a Thursday afternoon:

On focus: At the 2:10 mark, Saban notices that some of the campers aren't giving him their undivided attention, and refocuses the group in short order.

On Xbox: At 4:30, Saban differentiates between investing time and spending time.

"When you invest your time, you make a goal and a decision of something that you want to accomplish," Saban said. "Whether it's make good grades in school, be a good athlete, be a good person, go down and do some community service and help somebody who's in need, whatever it is you choose to do, you're investing your time in that.

"When you spend your time, you play Xbox. That's spending time. It accomplishes nothing. And I know all of you would say, 'Oh, man, I need to have my relaxation time.' You know what I say to that? And excuse me to all the mamas out here, but that's bull----. You don't need to do that."

On tenacity: At 11:57, Saban is talking to the players about being a "relentless competitor," and he picks a fairly unusual example of tenacity - fictional villain Freddy Krueger from the Nightmare on Elm Street horror movie franchise.

"What makes Freddy Krueger such a horrible character? What makes him scare you to death? You can't get rid of the guy. He never goes away. You can't kill him. You think he's dead, and his hand comes through the wall and chokes you to death again. That's because the guy's relentless. That's what relentless is."

The full video is 16 minutes of vintage Saban. Enjoy.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

And those parents thought that ride at Disney was scary.

3. Kurtis Bleaux

Kurtis Bleaux Founding Member

Oh, and don't play XBOX...

[​IMG]

4. joker

joker Founding Member

Saban is an ahole but everything he says is true. Note, I haven't watched the video and there are times when people, especially kids just need to have fun.

5. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Who cares what the Bama coach is doing?

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Who? Have I heard of him?

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

that is awesome. I just love these bedtime stories for the little kids at these family gatherings.

Honestly though, this dude is about as serious a person as you will meet. He needs a little balance on the other end of the spectrum which he detests. lighten up, little napolean. it wont kill you. Its brutal being around someone like this for an extended length of time.

That may be why he never stays anywhere too long. Except gumpville. tick tock