Serena

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

To hell with her and her sister. It is high time for them to move along. Whiny ass bitch. Act like you've been there before.

So tired of them

Bengal B likes this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"It’s a fact that the sport that gave us John McEnroe and Ilie Nastase and Jimmy Connors and so many other bad boys has tolerated without penalty far worse behavior than the language Williams used Saturday evening. She said as much in her defense during the match and after, and others quickly agreed with her.

“I will admit I have said worse and not gotten penalized,” James Blake, the former top-ranked U.S. male tennis player, wrote on Twitter Saturday night. “And I’ve also been given a 'soft warning' by the ump where they tell you knock it off or I will have to give you a violation. He should have at least given her that courtesy.”

"Mardy Fish, another former American men's No. 1, also went on Twitter after the match:

“Two ridiculous calls today. I can promise you, that’s not coaching, racquet abuse no doubt, but the verbal abuse??? It’s the US Open Final!!!”

"And Patrick McEnroe on Sunday’s Good Morning America: “It has to be said that she has a point when it comes to gender bias. I believe that a chair umpire who’s a man, against another man, would have said, whether it’s Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer, ‘Listen, you’ve got to pipe down now. You’ve got to be quiet. You’ve gotten two violations. If you get another one, you’re getting a game penalty.’ Nobody wants to see that happen, especially in the US Open final.”

John McEnroe is what one would consider a "special cause". He's an absolute outlier, the worst of the worst. So IMO, it is wrong to think of his situation as comparable to what happened with Serena on Saturday. And still, in 20 years of pro tennis, McEnroe was fined a total of $69,500. Serena got hit with $17k just 2 days ago. She's nearing $200k in a sport that took decades for Grand Slam events to pay equal award money. Perception is reality.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Pick up a racket and play either one. I'm sure a win will go a long way to making them disappear.

BTW, the men's all-time Grand Slam title holder is Federer with 20. Serena has 23. He'd never have been treated the way Serena was on Saturday. Everyone in the tennis world knows it. So why should she act any differently?

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

What does that have to do with anything. They are amazing talents and no way in hell I could even win a point. It's still time for them to go away.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why should women get equal money when they only play best 2 of 3 sets while the men play best 3 of 5?

Frogleg likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Why? Because Serena is outspoken? If we apply that standard, what happens to Trump?
    The International Tennis Foundation, which runs the Grand Slam tournaments, dictates that men play best-of-five-set matches, while women play only best of three sets. Women have no say in this matter.

Although women play fewer sets than men in Grand Slam events, women train just as much as as men do—and they have the endurance to prove it. The women’s 2005 Wimbledon final, for instance, lasted 45 minutes longer than the five sets played by the men in the championship that year. Another way of looking at it is that men earn more because they play more point per match. By that same logic, champions would be given more prize money for winning a closer match that extended to four or five sets, than if they shut out an opponent in three sets. That’s not consistent with how the sport of tennis rewards champions and dominance, regardless of gender. To carry it further, shouldn't baseball players receive more money for matches that extend to extra innings and hockey and football players get paid extra for games that go into overtime? Perhaps NBA players would even expect to receive extra pay for playoff series that go seven games rather than four. Athletes get paid for winning, not for how long it takes them to win.

Women's tennis is gaining popularity over the men. And a lot of it has to do with Serena and Venus. Just as many women’s tennis events are televised as men’s, and women play on the same main courts as men do. In 2015, the U.S. Open women’s tournament final between Serena and Venus Williams, sold out more quickly than the men’s tournament. In 2013 and 2014, the women’s U.S. Open had higher TV ratings than the men’s final. In 2005, the Wimbledon final between Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport drew 1 million more viewers than the showdown between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.

Even then, popularity doesn't result in fair play across the board. In sports like gymnastics and figure skating, the ladies are far more popular but make the same amount of money as men. And a last thought in pay for comparable "time" why is it that male pro golfers make 5x as much in prize money? Don't they both play 18 holes?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

My only issue with the umpire's behavior would be, had it been me, I would have declared a "coaching warning" before logging it as an official code violation. Its been acknowledged that the coaching rule is routinely violated, and even Serena - before the whole thing escalated - acknowledged that she understood how the coach's gesture could be misinterpreted as some kind of signal. So, the ref could have said, OK, but understand, if I see another "signal" I'm ruling it a code violation. At that point its all on Serena and her coach to reign it in. And so many people seem to want to paint the picture of this ump having a short fuse. Hardly. Here's a video of almost 15 minutes worth of Serena berating him over this issue. She was ridiculous, and the crowd? Even moreso. Way to absolutely steal the joy of a young and upcoming player beating her idol, a legend, for her first major. And make no mistake, she won the match; it was not stolen from Serena.

GiantDuckFan, uscvball and Frogleg like this.
  10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

But they play a much shorter golf course? ;) I think it's mostly determined by what advertisers are willing to fork over, and apparently there's more factors than just viewers. Target audience, who spends more on those products, and bias for sure.
    I heard a comedian saying that men deserved to make more than women because we're obligated to pay for dates, more presents, and wining and dining. We need that extra dough. :D