Serious Question

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geekboy, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Could any of the top 5 college teams today have beaten the 1965 or 66 Green Bay Packers?

If they met 10 times for 10 weeks in a row how many would the Packers win?

2. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

None, those guys are old, dude.

3. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Come On!

I bet they can still get around!! :D

4. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Come on again.....

You'll notice the subject said 'Serious' question, so knock it off or I'll take my ball and go home!

5. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Geekboy, you're beginning to sound like the AP, Pete Carroll and USuCk! You're stepping on dangerous ground.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Even the old timers, during interviews and the like, have acknowledged that today's athletes are bigger, stronger and faster (doesn't mean they're tougher)...but I don't think the Packer teams of 65 or 66 would be able to win consistantly.

They'd win 1 or 2 (if you played 10 times), but only because they would have gotten pissed off after the first loss and would win a few games by playing dirty (which, football WAS played dirty back in the day)..

7. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Get real, Beantown boy

This year's LSU squad would have slaughtered Green Bay by 5 TDs ... and I am a huge Vince Lombardi and Green Bay Fan, not a Saints Fan.

Just a quick look at the 65 roster for Green Bay shows a 35 - 50 pound per man mismatch on the lines ... and that's not all they give away ... the speed of LSU would blow them away ...

My boyhood hero Bart Starr and Carroll Dale wouldn't have a prayer and neither would their defense or the running game.

I'd like to get Vince Lombardi's take on a Snoop Doggity Dogg "Fo Shizzle" Rap Session ... LOL

8. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

I'll answer this seriously. I'm going to agree with the above, especially when you consider that teams from earlier decades were running teams and had little or no passing attack.

Running teams need to have a physical advantage, which would be impossible against college teams of today.

I think a more interesting thing would be comparing eras of baseball. For example, how would Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson stand up against hitters of today?

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Why would you even want to try and compare the 2.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

With football, it's much harder to speculate on who would be better. But in baseball, we actually have measurements on pitchers, e.g., speed of their fastball.

I have no doubt that Bob Gibson and Sandy Koufax would be nearly as dominant in today's game as they were back in the 60s.