Shame on USC

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by USMTiger, Dec 22, 2003.

1. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

Look at this. USC's Official Athletics Site. See something wrong with this picture? National Championship game? Huh?

http://usctrojans.ocsn.com/

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Its really sad to see stuff like this.

I blame Chris Fowler and the other pricks who had NO business
    voting usc #1.

All you have to look at is the quality wins of both teams do determine who should be #1.

Instead the pricks looked at the losses.

Thank God for the BCS, It got it right!

I really hope Michigan whips thier ASS.

3. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

Sorry, but I don't get the whole LSU/USC bashing thing going on. If we were playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl, I'm sure we would be calling it the National Championship Game as well. In all honesty, if USC wins, it is a NC game for the AP poll. They have no obligation to vote the Sugar Bowl winner as the NC.

It shouldn't matter if USC or LSU is #1 in the polls right now, because it should have been decided in the Sugar Bowl. Let's face it, OU is the team that doesn't belong. You lose by 4 td's in the final game of the year, you do not deserve to play for a NC, bottom line. There are no playoffs in I-A football, throughout history (before the BCS) you can look at the final half of the season as a sort of playoff. Teams that lost early and peaked late were rewarded, and teams that struggled late in the season were penalized, just like they would be in a playoff system. I am the first to agree that the BCS has failed this year by putting OU in the Sugar Bowl, and I think USC has every right to be upset.

That being said, I hope Michigan kicks the crap out of them and we get a NC in both polls. Geaux Tigers.

4. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

Here's my question:

Most of the talking-heads complaining that USC should be in the championship game, the same talkers that voted USC number 1, are nevertheless picking USC to lose to Michigan!

How can they honestly believe that USC is #1 (or even #2) if they believe the #4 team is better? The answer, of course, is that they don't think USC is #1. They sit at that spot because of the timing of their one loss, by default. If the voters actually stopped and said, "okay, who is the best team in the country," or "who do I think would win if team A played team B?", the poll results would likely agree with the BCS.

It seems self-evident, but I believe the "fix" to the current controversy is for the poll voters to throw out the unwritten rules of team ranking, that you can't fall unless you lose, that you automatically move up by the same number of teams that lose ahead of you, that you can't jump a team on any given week if you both win. For God's sake, just vote who you think is BEST! Who do think would win in a head to head? What if you had to bet you savings, who do you REALLY pick?

I can hear the rebuttals: you can't expect these voters to have a crystal ball, to "guess" the outcome of a hypothetical game, to "punish" a team when they win.

To which I reply: That's your job, dammit! It is okay to say "last week I thought team A was better, but this week I am more impressed with team B, even though they both won."

Anyway, just my thoughts.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

marcmc99,

I agree that the BCS failed by putting OU in the championship game.

But

I also think the voters failed in putting USC ahead of LSU.

I it wasn't for the BCS, the strength of schedule wouldn't mean
    anything.

It certainly didn't mean anything to the voters.

6. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I agree I believe LSU should be #1 and USC #2, but I also am aware of the fact that I am an LSU fan from the south and I don't expect people from other parts of the country to see things the way I do.

The only fix is to have some sort of a playoff. Don't leave anything up to voters. I'm not trying to start an arguement here, but when LuvDoc said earlier "that's your job dammit", I am assuming he is talking about the voters, which is incorrect. The voter's "jobs" are to coach their teams or write about the team they cover, not to decide who the NC is. These people don't have the time or resources to objectively decide who the best team in the country is. The only solution, play it off on the field and then the arguements will stop.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

There is no argument. Oklahoma is #1 and LSU is #2. Period. End of report. All of the rest is just whining, crying and wishing.

8. LuvDoc

LuvDoc Founding Member

In response, I agree that the only truly objective, and the ideal, solution is to have a playoff. The powers-that-be seem united against that in the short term, however. . .

My point with regard to the voters' job being to make the tough, and accurate, decisions, is just that: it's their job. That's why they are called "the voters." That they have other (real?) jobs and can't possibly come to perfectly informed or objective conclusions is assumed.

Nevertheless, to strive to do so is the charge that they have accepted.

Based on the predictions I've been reading/seeing, many belive that USC is not the best team, despite being #1. Shouldn't these be the same thing?

9. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

"Sorry, but I don't get the whole LSU/USC bashing thing going on. If we were playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl, I'm sure we would be calling it the National Championship Game as well. In all honesty, if USC wins, it is a NC game for the AP poll. They have no obligation to vote the Sugar Bowl winner as the NC. "

We as fans might, but the national media wouldn't........They would not give LSU the time of day.

10. marcmc99

marcmc99 Founding Member

I think they actually would. I believe because it is USC, and a powerful media outlet such as the LA Times has a tremendous influence in the national media, they are getting more hype across the country than we would get. Regardless, I believe there would still be a huge uproar if we were in the Rose Bowl. The AP has been critical of the BCS all along, but until this year has not had that much to back their arguement. They have been waiting for the right time to make their case against the BCS, and that time has come. I don't think it's anything against us or that the media is all that crazy about USC, I believe people are simply seizing the opportunity to attempt to bring about change to a flawed system.