Shaquille O'Neal calls it quits--The End of an Era

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Cajun Sensation, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

TOUT | Life's Moments

I've had the pleasure of meeting Shaq on quite a few different occasions. He is an awesome guy and was a great great center....one of the very best of all time.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I met him once as well. The word that comes to mind is "genuine". What you see on TV with the media is what he is.

Thanks for the memories, Shaq. Next stop, Springfield.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Okay, as long as Shaquille still played, I didn't feel old, as we were @ LSU @ the same time, but now...get the walker and the AARP discounts ready!

1 person likes this.
  4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I was kind of hoping he'd wait until after the NBA lockout to see if his body could heal for one last geaux. Guess he knows his body is done playing at that level.

One memory of Shaq is when I went to Dale Brown's basketball camp as a kid. Shaq was driving a tiny little compact car (maybe his girlfriend's at the time) and I think just drove by to say hello to the kids.

Another memory was Shaq going to Red's (Lafayette) with the Boudreaux twins. He was mostly clowning around and shooting half court shots on that little court (more like an NBA three pointer). I was amazed at how well he could shoot and dribble, given his struggles with free throws. I was only 14 or so but played in one of the last games of the day with Shaq. It wasn't really competitive and everyone would just vacate the paint if he was going for a dunk.

With how much he was hacked during his college & NBA career, it's amazing he never pulled a Bynum in retaliation.

5. I Like Mike

I Like Mike Geaux Tigers!

Here's to an all-time great Tiger!

:thumb:

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I still get excited when I think about the fact that Shaq went to LSU (aka Love Shaq University). He was so much more than a professional athlete. He was bigger than the game! Thanks for being such a great representative!

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I became a fan during the Shaq years, my grandparents had season tickets then, and I always got to tag along with them.

Still love whatever team he plays for, end of a era.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

has there ever been a more likable personality in all of sports?

i think not.

beyond pure size and athleticism, his ability to be comfortable amongst kids or while visiting an old folks home made him unique among today's athletes.

shaq gave a lot of his time and money to those less fortunate over the years and it never seemed contrived.

I've always liked that about him. Plus he is genuinely funny.

and i liked just about everyone of his nicknames. all 200 of them.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i really respect that shaq finished and received his degree. he didnt have to, but it was nice to see someone so successful in sports put forth the message "education is important".

that, and the fact that he quietly gives so much to the university. not out of seeking recognition for his giving, but because he genuinely wants to give.

he is without a doubt, one of the all time lsu greats, not just for his athletic ability, but for who he is as a person.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Great person, absolutely.

Fun guy, you bet.

Awesome player, undoubtedly.

We'll all miss him, for sure.

But when you think had he taken better care of himself, he could have been the greatest of all time.

I lost a lot of respect for him when he was injured and refused to get surgery during the 2002 offseason, waiting until just before the beginning of the season.

His famous quote: "I got hurt on company time, so I’ll rehab on company time."

After his contentious feud with Kobe, the run was over in L.A.

One of the greatest 10 NBA players of all-time, maybe even top 5, maybe.

But let's face it, he could have been THE greatest.