Should we fear Auburn's defense this year?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SeN-SaTioN, May 24, 2006.

1. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

The reason I ask is because they have Will Mushchamp as their DC...and there is no doubt he will implement everything he learned from Nick Saban. He's probably going to have tons of blitz packages. But hopefully since Jimbo has been around it, maybe he knows how to expose that type of defense. How are their corners anyway?

2. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

No. Will was a poser. Saban coached that D.

3. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Agreed...

4. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Mr. Irons will tell you that both his sons should be 1st round draft picks next year. Mr. Irons knows a lot about football.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I argee mostly, he had a lot of potential but was nothing without Saban. I'm sure he learned plenty but has yet to do anything outside the security of Saban's skirt. Time will tell how much he learned and how good he will be but in my mind he is an unproven commodity.

6. Logan

Logan Founding Member

He most likely knows alot more than LSU fans now want to give him credit for.

If Saban kept him here at LSU and then asked him to follow him to Miami, an NFL franchise, then it's obviously not because they're best buds, it's because he knows how to coach a defense.

I'm just glad we catch Auburn early rather than later in the season when his system starts clicking.

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Will M. can make things difficult for us. Though, Auburn has lots of talent as well on D. They have solid LB's and are very quick.

And yes, as mentioned, Mr. Irons will tell you that the two greatest athletes ever play for Auburn. :dis:

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Auburn will have a damned serious defense this year and Muschamp should do well with what is there. But I wouldn't fear him unless he had Nick Saban standing behind him and the 2003 LSU team on the field. 19 of the 24 starters on that team are on NFL rosters and 3 are still playing at LSU.

There should be no doubt that LSU's defense was Nick's defense. Muschamp coordinated it but Nick designed and ran it. Muschamp will be able to put in his own defense at Auburn and it might not look like Nick's defense at all.

Auburn has had three DC's in four years. Once again they are implementing a defense. Like LSU found out last year, it may take a few games for things to gel and the DC get to know the players. However they start, Auburn will be a better defense late in the season. Early is better for LSU playing Auburn this year.

9. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

Very good point here. Will must have earned some respect from Nick Saban for Nick to ask him to follow him to Miami. I just think the guy is young, aggressive, and had a really good mentor....therefore, we should probably take him just a bit seriously. Afterall, why wouldn't he use Nick's system, it won a national championship.:lsup: LSU! :lsup: LSU! :lsup: LSU! :lsup: LSU!

10. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

We saw that Sabans D was a high risk/high reward style, the risk especially showing in those first couple of years where maybe the personnel was not the perfect fit. But also throughout Sabans tenure we saw that when one guy gets out of place it had the potential to become a big play for the other guys. I do not believe I have to list the evidence of that.

Two reasons why I am not overly worried (I am respectful of Will). Will is a good coach, but he seemed to be kind of stagnant in his trek down to Miami. It seems Nick was staffing the D side of the ball all around Will, who was kind of lost in the shuffle as a 'defensive assistant'. If I am not mistaken he was not even a position coach with the Dolphins.

Also the Auburn personnel. The Auburn defensive line lost three starters from last year's squad. They are also a little undersized inside, and they do not have the depth on the D-line that LSU does, actually not even close. They did OK in Rush D last year (finishing 5th in SEC) but they lose 5 of their front 7 (3 DL), and it should be mentioned again that they have not had the luxury of heavy rotation as has LSU. I think they are moving a safety to LB and have some promising newcomers at LB also, but they are green.

I do not expect Auburn to have a bad defense, but they will, IMO, have growing pains as Will implements this complicated scheme. I feel really good getting them early and having Jimbo Fisher as OC. Fisher should be as familiar with this defense as any OC in the nation. Hopefully there will be anough offensive variation since 2004 that perhaps the same will not hold true for Will knowing Fishers O as good as anyone. Regardless, it should some down to execution and I like our chances versus a newly implemented version of that defense.