Smoke Laval this season...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KTeamLSU, Jan 22, 2005.

1. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Will anyone be calling for Smoke Laval's head after this season if a) he doesn't get our team to the CWS, or 2) he does and goes 0-2 and a barbeque?

By this post, I mean that other than Brady, Smoke is the second largest liability because he has not proven that he can win on the Tournament level. Even if he does not do well this season, I still believe that Skip will never fire his protege, but should Skip's personal feelings cloud his judgement ?

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think Smoke needs to get to the CWS and win ball games there. Just being there is not enough for LSU.

3. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I don't know guys. As nice as it would be to drive all the way up there and see them win a game, It's nice just being able to go. There's alot of other schools with very good programs that don't make it. IMO Smoke is great. I think it took Skip 5 trips to finally win one didn't it. Smoke will get it done.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I don't see Skip firing Smoke this year regardless of what happens on the baseball diamond . . . regardless of W/L record during the regular season or tourny play . . . regardless of whether we make it to the CWS at all . . . regardless of how we do if we get to the CWS.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I disagree about your statement that he can't win "on the Tournament level." I understand you are referring to the CWS, but the tourney actually starts at the regional level. He's done well in the regionals and super regionals.

I don't think Smoke has to worry about his job right now, but there is no doubt that he feels pressure to win in Omaha. He has another talented team this year and should return to Omaha. He needs to figure out what to do once he gets there ... I'm sure Skip is giving him much advice.

I think Smoke will be fine once he gets that first win in Omaha under his belt...

6. LSUSPORTSFREAK

LSUSPORTSFREAK Founding Member

No matter how much advice Skip gives Smoke... or hell... if Skip himself was coaching the team... doesn't the ultimate responsibility lay on the shoulders of the players?

You people crack me up. :dis:

7. john randolph

john randolph Founding Member

I feel the same way. Man are we spoiled!!!!!!!

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

That must be the reason Skip hasn't pulled the trigger on Brady! :wink:

9. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

If you fire Smoke who would you replace him with? Who out there is more qualified to run a top college program?

Firing the guy after getting you to the CWS 2 of the 3 years he has been here is crazy.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Firing Smoke at this point? Ludicrous...simply ludicrous.