SMOKE LAVAL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by btiger28, May 5, 2006.

1. btiger28

btiger28 Founding Member

I saw on dandydon.com that smoke was not going to be coach next year. the replacements was the kentucky coach and ole miss coach. Which coach would you rather have? :geauxtige

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

This is by far the second best thread you have ever created. With the best being the one announcing homertiger's kiddo being born. The rest of your threads simply don't compare. :D

I'd rather them take a more national approach. Most of the best candidates are likely within the conference but it never hurts to have a comprehensive search.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don didn't say that. What he said was:

"The hot rumor is that the wheels are turning at LSU and that Laval will be replaced at the end of this season and will be assigned to an administrative job until his contract expires. The two names mentioned most often to replace Laval are John Cohen from Kentucky and the coach from the College of Charleston. My personal opinion is that Skip Bertman will not replace his long time friend at the end of this season regardless of what happens the remainder of this season."

4. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

MB at Ole Miss would be my first choice but not sure he would jump ship to come home. A nation wide search would be prudent.

I want a coach that is a great teacher of the game which Smoke may be, but I really want someone that can motivate the kids and excudes passion for the game. That is what made Skip so good. That passion and motivation allowed the kids to visualize winning and thus build the attitude that no one was going to beat them. Smoke lacks that in my opinion.

5. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

[My personal opinion is that Skip Bertman will not replace his long time friend at the end of this season regardless of what happens the remainder of this season."[/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I agree with this statement.[/quote]

I believe Smoke is gone. I've heard from too many people, and none of them are Skip of course, that have said the money has already been raised to buy the final year of his contract out. At the end of this season he only has one year left anyway.

I think he's gone and I heard the Vanderbilt coach is also in the mix.

7. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

What is the likelihood that LSU could snag someone like a Mike Bianco or another coach at an established program like Cal-Fullerton?

8. swoop

swoop Founding Member

You've gotta believe he is going to be gone after this season. With 1 year remaining, you either get an extension, or you know your days are numbered. I havent seen any talk of extensions. Who coaches with no years remaining on a contract?? That would be smoke if he stayed around next year. I cant think of any coaches that would do that, how would you recruit players or get assistants to come to your school? You couldnt. Unless there is an extension to smokes contract (which isnt happening), smoke is gone.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I REALLY don't see Skip canning Smoke mid-season--doesn't matter if we were winless for the entire thing. But I do see this being Smoke's last season--either by way of firing, or he'll resign.