Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Snow in forecast?

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by Cajun Sensation, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

http://www.wwl.com/Snow-/18215769

The National Weather Service says there's a slight chance we could see frozen precipitation, maybe even snow, for areas of southeast Louisiana later this week.

Forecaster Danielle Manning says a cold front with precipitation will cross the state on Thursday and if that precipitation sticks around when temperatures drop, we could see a wintry mix.

"With those cold temperatures, we could be looking at a change over to snow or sleet, depending on the location," Manning said.

Manning says the chances we'll see snow or frozen precipitation is not high: only 20 to 30 percent. And if snow happens, it will likely be in areas north of I-12. But she says it's been a colder than normal winter in south Louisiana, so to have a slight chance of snow in the forecast is not a big surprise.

"With that cold air coming in and being reinforced, we do end up slightly better chance of snow than normal," she said.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Buckle your seatbelts...

In my limited experience with snow, whenever it's 'supposed' to snow, it never does. It only seems to snow when it's least expected.
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

It snowed so much in Wichita Falls one year that my kids would complain. Never thought I would see that.
  4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The same thing happened with my younger daughter during the snowstorm of 2010 (she was only 5.) It snowed for 24 hours straight, and we got around 18 inches of snow. I was like a kid at Christmas, but she was unimpressed, and it occured to me that she sees snow/ice at least once a year and sometimes more than that. It was no big deal to her.

But it's still a big deal to me. It only snowed three times when I was growing up (1973, which I don't remember, 1978, with a dusting of snow, and 1988, with about 1-2 inches.) So, living in North Texas, I still get excited when winter precipitation is forecast.

However, after losing power at my house for 48 hours during the ice storm here in December (about a half foot of solid ICE, not snow), I may be semi-cured of that. Although the hotel hopping that we and two other families did was pretty fun--though getting out on the roads to do said hopping was not all that fun at all. The roads were quite dangerous.